8GB Internal Storage Access

darthrogue

Reaction score
One thing that I liked when I saw the droid x was that it has 8gb of internal storage. I only have about 5 or so gigs of music so I figured i'd keep my music on the internal storage and leave the SD card for my tv shows to be played with the ever wonderful RockPlayer. Only problem is, so far I have yet to find a way to access that from the computer. Anybody know how?

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I believe that the 8GB of internal storage is part of the system and is only available for apps. The phone still uses the microSD card for app data. I think the internal storage is not available unless you're rooted.

8GB is a LOT of space for apps. I don't know that I'll ever need that much space for apps. If I did, just scrolling through the app drawer to find a particular app would be a pain in the neck. I'd like to have that space available for other storage.

OP
darthrogue

darthrogue

Reaction score
I am rooted, but if what you are saying is true, there is most likely no way to tell the music app to look for your tunes within that 8gb of space

vatothe0

Reaction score
so, the real question is. "Is there really 8gb of storage available". probably not..

Yeah, Motorola is probably outright lying about a major feature of the phone in nearly every advertising material about the phone.

dangerous

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why the Apps need to use my SD card for Their BS data. 8GB on a phone should last a Lifetime.

Oh, and by the way.. I wrote 5G on the back of my Phone.. It's now even (that much) better than the IP4..

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
8GB is a LOT of space for apps. I don't know that I'll ever need that much space for apps. If I did, just scrolling through the app drawer to find a particular app would be a pain in the neck. I'd like to have that space available for other storage.

I think part of the reason they built with 8gb is b/c they are expecting more games like Need for Speed Shift (which is something like 128mb if I'm correct) to come out... if this is the case, in 6 months we will be saying: "why did they only give us 8gb...

..but we'll see..

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think part of the reason they built with 8gb is b/c they are expecting more games like Need for Speed Shift (which is something like 128mb if I'm correct) to come out... if this is the case, in 6 months we will be saying: "why did they only give us 8gb...

Exactly, because the Original Droid's 256mb of internal storage is completely insufficient