5.7.893 radio/kernel

dags5000

Reaction score
so we know the leaked update patched the kernel and the radio as well as the core OS. Seeing that we cannot change the kernel or radio because of the locked bootloader, does anyone know how those that applied the leaked updated will be able to get any future official updates? I know that if the final update has changes to the kernel or radio and the update process checks the current state of the radio and kernel, it will prob fail since they aren't stock and as expected.
I know the fastboot restore to stock process DOES NOT revert the radio or kernel. Does this mean we are essentially SOL? Could there possibly be a future sbf that contains any official changes to the kernel/radio so we could get back on path? Or is the only hope that someone unlocks the bootloader or finds a workaround.

Thanks in advance for anyone in the know.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

thejacked1

Reaction score
Staying stock is the key I believe. I was stock 886, upgraded to 5.6.893, then flashed, went back to stock to get 5.7.893..etc. either way after the 1st upgrade I had that radio and continued to update

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
Right. Your system was competely stock when you updated though. When you restored to stock using the fastboot method, that returned the phone completely to stock (it DID NOT, however touch the boot or radio). Since the leaked updates we just applied DID update the kernel and radio, if you use the fastboot restore to stock method now, only your system files are restored, but the radio/kernel remain changed from the leaked update.

A newer update confirmed my worries I think because it failed to update when it tried to verify the kernel and radio were stock too. If so next time if u try the update it will fail on asserting that the radio and/or kernel is not stock. I read a few reports on people that experienced this when trying to apply the latest update (not the one we are currently on). If so we are screwed I think.

Last edited:
OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
the newer update i was referring to btw is 5.8.894. i read reports that 2 people that already applied the first set of leaked updates had issues when trying this one. Both people used the fastboot restore to stock process so the software/system was essentially stock, BUT the update would not work because it failed on asserting that the kernel and radio were actually as they were when the phone shipped. It's possible these users were just doing something wrong but it does make sense and could mean we could have problems getting any official updates to the kernel/radio in the future (which i hope isn't true).

thejacked1

Reaction score
Boy!! How much would THAT piss you off?? If vzw and moto wont fix their own ****, AT LEAST unlock it so the devs can. Not worried much tho. Been doing this a LONG time, pc's ..gaming consoles, etc. Id mod my toaster if I thought it'd make a difference. One think I KNOW is every time the man (vzw in this case) thinks he's getting one up on us...someone somewhere will hand him his ass! And prob a 15 year old :)

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
k, if someone has a full sbf or whatever that returns completely stock INCLUDING the kernel and radio that woudl be ideal. Or some way to revert those. Anyways, not a huge deal to me, but I figure that a lot of users that applied the leak updates could be very pissed off if it turns out they are completely stuck. I also know that we did this stuff on our own and it voids the warranty, blah blah blah. But I have faith that there is a way to get it to work, so not too worried :)

ripper2860

Reaction score
There is a way to flash only the stock radio i believe. Ill post the link in a minute. Just flash the .886 radio.zip in cmw

That would be very nice, especially if you can keep the 886 kernel and System and upgrade/downgrade only radio as needed to get the OTA.

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
id be the most disappointed if (we all know this wont happen but one can dream right?) in like 2 weeks they say that true ICS update is coming out for the bionic. Woudl suck if anyone that applied the leaked updates were hosed and couldn't ever get to the true ice cream sandwich kernel. You'd have some angry customers at that point :)

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
Yeah - we'd need not only the radio though, but also the full on kernel unless the current restore method does revert the kernel. From what i was reading i was under impression it did not, but could be wrong.

ripper2860

Reaction score
id be the most disappointed if (we all know this wont happen but one can dream right?) in like 2 weeks they say that true ICS update is coming out for the bionic. Woudl suck if anyone that applied the leaked updates were hosed and couldn't ever get to the true ice cream sandwich kernel. You'd have some angry customers at that point :)

That would be a PR mistake of EPIC proportions!

dstreng

Reaction score
im on 5.5.893 right now. i am busy tonight but someone here should give it a shot. Id really like to finally settle whether or not this can truly bring u back to stock

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
well i'm not gonna run it myself right now, but truly appreciate the quick post/find. If anyone does run it please let us know and woudl be appreciated if you could post a screenshot of your About Phone settings where it shows the kernel and baseband specs so we can confirm that it brings you back truly to stock.

When the time comes I will definitely try it if i'm stuck. For some reason also when i just downloaded the zip my ISP considered the hosting site to be malware, but i do trust that the source is legit. I have stored it away so will try it out if the official update comes out and it doesnt work.

Thanks again.

wilboy

Reaction score
you can do webtop and radio back to original stock but not the kernel due to a locked bootloader...but still, we tried to continue updating to leak 8.894 w/ no success(failed),so lets cross our finger that thre will be a talented Devs. that can do the the sbf/fxz to make it work for the incoming official update...but who knows..may be..it depends to what's on in an OTA update..