Off The Upgrade Path ???

ripper2860

Reaction score
When playing about with ROMS, LEAKS and such, I understand it is possible to take yourself out of the official OTA UPGRADE path; however I'm not really clear on what it takes to actually stray from the UPGRADE path. Assuming ODEXED and BLOATED, does one take themselves off the path when the KERNEL, RADIO and SYSTEM versions differ? What if they match? Would one still be able to receive UPGRADES via the official OTA process? Example Assumptions ...

OK for official OTA upgrades??
886 Kernel / 886 Radios / 886 system
89X Kernel / 89X Radios / 89X System

Not OK for official OTA upgrades??
886 Kernel / 886 Radios / 89X System (or based ROM)
89X Kernel / 89X Radios / 886 system (or based ROM)

If I am correct, then I could apply the Cheesecake downloaded updates (or any leaked) and still be on the official UPGRADE path as long as Kernel / Radios and System match when Verizon releases the official OTA update assuming its REV numbers are higher?? I can also use any ROM whose System is based on version matches the Kernel and Radio installed -- assuming ODEXED and BLOATED w/ no Frozen apps)??

I'd really like clarification to make sure I don't do anything stupid that would take me out of the official upgrade path.

Thanks!!!

sk8ingdroid

Reaction score
Idk why u wanna stay on the offical path if your gonna stay in the root/ROMs path then you should just go for the unofficial cheesecake method youll get the same ... to my understsnding ... upgrades just before they come out correct me if im wrong

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
Idk why u wanna stay on the offical path if your gonna stay in the root/ROMs path then you should just go for the unofficial cheesecake method youll get the same ... to my understsnding ... upgrades just before they come out correct me if im wrong

Fair enough. I'm not assuming that "Cheese Cake" will always be there and work. I would imagine at some time Motorola may wise-up and put the kabash on open staging servers (unless they really meant to leave it as an unofficial extended or open beta). Also -- with the bootloader locked, ROMs do nothing (at this point) to deliver upgraded RADIOS and KERNELS. If it were my personal phone -- no big deal. It's my business phone, however, and provided and paid for by my company. Extra care is required. ;)

sk8ingdroid

Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm not assuming that "Cheese Cake" will always be there and work. I would imagine at some time Motorola may wise-up and put the kabash on open staging servers (unless they really meant to leave it as an unofficial extended or open beta). Also -- with the bootloader locked, ROMs do nothing (at this point) to deliver upgraded RADIOS and KERNELS. If it were my personal phone -- no big deal. It's my business phone, however, and provided and paid for by my company. Extra care is required. ;)

Oh if it's that case yah you need to be careful just keep it normal and ota everything and put Roma

OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to using "leaked" OTA's -- I just want to make sure they don't take me out of the OTA upgrade path for future RADIO and KERNEL updates -- just in case. Will Moto/VZ look for a specific version (ie. .886) or just any lower REV where the Kernel / Radio / System versions match (assuming a lower rev than the one being pushed)? What if they push an official release and it were to be .900/.900/.900 -- would it allow an upgrade to a .89X/.89X/.89X - based phone if there was never an "official" .89X OTA release??

My head hurts just thinking about this stuff. :D

Last edited:

DrZenga

Reaction score
I think if you use leaked updates through cheesecake it's a definite taken out of the upgrade path and you will have to wait for updates through cheesecake, and not OTA

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
I think if you use leaked updates through cheesecake it's a definite taken out of the upgrade path and you will have to wait for updates through cheesecake, and not OTA

I suspected as much. So it seems once you upgrade the Kernel and Radios via an "unofficial" leaked update, you're committed to STAGING server updates as long as they are available or screwed until someone unlocks the Bionic bootloader. Guess I'll be sticking to .886 Kernel/Radios and use ROMS w/ an ability to roll-back the system partition. :(

DrZenga

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm currently stock rooted. I'm waiting for the official update to roll out then i will use the forever root method and nab it!

OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm currently stock rooted. I'm waiting for the official update to roll out then i will use the forever root method and nab it!

That's my current state as well except for I'm ForeveRoot'ed at this point. Heard that there was an .894 pushed via staging servers that breaks ForeverRoot. Hope it's not rolled into the official OTA. :icon_eek:

DrZenga

Reaction score
That would definitely make me sad...

OP
ripper2860

ripper2860

Reaction score
Maybe calling it "Forever Root" was a bit too brash and egged them on to prove the author of the process wrong in naming it "Forever"!! :D

Let's hope that's not the case and that it will keep rooted status. I suspect it will not be too long before it can be rooted again, though. It's a cat and mouse game between the DEV community and Moto/Verizon DEVs. I would imagine that our "good guys" have the upper hand!! :D

nateohio

Reaction score
You guys are forgetting a very important part of the Android community. Even if we can't get any future updates OTA, it will only be a matter of days after the official release when someone will throw the update into the cloud for the rest of us to get.

Usually the "official" updates are available the same day if not days before the actual release. All it takes is one soak tester to upload the update to the cloud.