4G setting

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flash this, adds an option under Wireless & networks to give you a Radio Info option, u can switch the 4g on and off in there.
So after you flash this when you switch 4g off it automatically defaults to 3g, and not 1x correct? Sorry for sounding like a total noob here, but right now I am not too close to a 4g area, but will be going somewhere soon that will. And I just want to be prepared for battery drain while I am out with no way to charge.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Flash this, adds an option under Wireless & networks to give you a Radio Info option, u can switch the 4g on and off in there.
So after you flash this when you switch 4g off it automatically defaults to 3g, and not 1x correct? Sorry for sounding like a total noob here, but right now I am not too close to a 4g area, but will be going somewhere soon that will. And I just want to be prepared for battery drain while I am out with no way to charge.
You don't want it to only allow 3G, since then voice calls won't work.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You don't want it to only allow 3G, since then voice calls won't work.

If you allow 3g only you will still have voice capability. Also the Tbolt has simultaneous voice and data over 3g. Currently Verizon's 4g network only supports Data at this time. It will be opgraded later to support voice.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, now I am confused. When you flash the file Tallica posted it turns 4g off correct? It would be like how my phone is working right now since I am not in a 4g area.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have not flashed the file but it is supposed to place an option in settings that will let you turn 4G off. The stock function of the Tbolt is 4g LTE + CDMA, it will constantly be searching for a 4g signal. Flashing the file will allow you to set the radio to only operate in 3g CDMA thus saving some battery. But you have to manually change the settings. It does not automatically change it for you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Quicksilver is right. It adds an option under wireless&networks called radio info, where you can manually select 3G 4G or a combo of the 2.

Sent from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, from my hTc Thunderbolt

OP
DroidStang

DroidStang

Reaction score
Wait a min. I was reading back few pages, you are saying if you use 4g you cannot talk on your phone? That makes no since.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Wait a min. I was reading back few pages, you are saying if you use 4g you cannot talk on your phone? That makes no since.

The reference was probably if you place it in just straight LTE mode instead of the "cdma + LTE evdo auto" one.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

OP
DroidStang

DroidStang

Reaction score
Makes sence I guess I was just confused like being in 3G just figured 4G was same but faster so if you are in a 4g area ,you are seeing 4g at top as I see 3 g now, you can still talk and data

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, please forgive me but I am still not 100% on this. If I install this zip (or LTE OnOff) I can then turn 4g off completely right? Right now I am not in a 4g area so if I do this say in New York City my phone would run there like it does right now where it is only doing 3g right? I know that I would not be able to surf and talk at the same time so that isn't really that big of a deal for me. I just want to make sure that I would still be able to make/ place calls, or surf the web.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
OK, please forgive me but I am still not 100% on this. If I install this zip (or LTE OnOff) I can then turn 4g off completely right? Right now I am not in a 4g area so if I do this say in New York City my phone would run there like it does right now where it is only doing 3g right? I know that I would not be able to surf and talk at the same time so that isn't really that big of a deal for me. I just want to make sure that I would still be able to make/ place calls, or surf the web.

Install LTE on off from the market, when you want to turn off 4G set it to "cdma auto (prl)". To turn 4G back on set it to "Cdma + LTE/evdo auto". It's easy and the app explains it when you open it.

OP
DroidStang

DroidStang

Reaction score
Because I have not experienced 4G yet in our area.....when you have a 4 G connection, say your phone is stock, default settings, it will go from 3G to 4 G right? when you see that 4G can you still surf......Talk......check mail, do everything you did when it said 3G...even tether...&..talk while tethered, which I can do when says 3 G...only difference is 4G is just faster , right?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Install LTE on off from the market, when you want to turn off 4G set it to "cdma auto (prl)". To turn 4G back on set it to "Cdma + LTE/evdo auto". It's easy and the app explains it when you open it.

This is exactly what I uploaded. Except it puts a menu option under wireless&networks. Instead of being a standalone app.

Sent from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, from my hTc Thunderbolt