4G issues

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Ever since last night, I've been noticing 4G connectivity issues. Where I live, this should not be. I'm on the JB XMAS Eve leak and this is a recent issue. Is there some network doctor that can fix this? I seem to remember something about this but I can't find it in the Play Store.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Have you tried a cache wipe in recovery
No please explain. Do you mean FDR? I don't want to have to do that. I'm not rooted and I don't have a backup of my app settings.

Have you called vzw to see if maybe you have a legit temp tower issue or something?
I hate calling VZW. There has to be another way. But I think the cache thing you mentioned my help it. I did install Swiftkey 3 right before this happened.

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
No need to FDR. You're just clearing the system cache. Power down your phone. Hold volume up volume down and power to get to your boot options menu, follow the directions to boot into recovery, select wipe cache partition, it takes about 5 seconds, then select reboot device now. Should make a significant difference. Do it every couple of months.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
No need to FDR. You're just clearing the system cache. Power down your phone. Hold volume up volume down and power to get to your boot options menu, follow the directions to boot into recovery, select wipe cache partition, it takes about 5 seconds, then select reboot device now. Should make a significant difference. Do it every couple of months.
Will this log me out of any active login sessions I have?

Psyman

Reaction score
I just did it and was still logged into the Droid forums..i figured it was time myself for a cleaning

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
OK I just selected Recovery. Am I suppose to then see the Android robot with a front open cover with a red triangle with an exclamation in the middle? It lasted for what seemed to be a minute, but maybe less than that. To get this, I did hold down the Up/Down volume buttons, selected the ON button, then selected Recovery (by arrowing down), then pressed the Up arrow and it went to this screen. Now it looks like it's rebooting....ok rebooted. I saw nothing about "Wipe Cache Partition". I'm on the XMAS Jelly Bean leak if that makes any difference.

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Forgot that part...it's a bit tricky. After you select recovery and get the little caution droid push volume up/down at the same time an it will bring up the recovery menu....you use volume up and down to scroll to wipe cache partition and power to select it the when it says cache format complete (5 or 10 seconds) Use volume buttons to scroll to reboot system now and power to select it. Then it will do a sorta slow (3-4 minutes?) reboot and you'll be all good. BTW you can get koushik dutta's carbon backup to do an unrooted system backup now too (haven't tried it, but I've always loved koush's stuff) I personally use ROM toolbox pro for pretty much everything lately.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Forgot that part...it's a bit tricky. After you select recovery and get the little caution droid push volume up/down at the same time an it will bring up the recovery menu....you use volume up and down to scroll to wipe cache partition and power to select it the when it says cache format complete (5 or 10 seconds) Use volume buttons to scroll to reboot system now and power to select it. Then it will do a sorta slow (3-4 minutes?) reboot and you'll be all good. BTW you can get koushik dutta's carbon backup to do an unrooted system backup now too (haven't tried it, but I've always loved koush's stuff) I personally use ROM toolbox pro for pretty much everything lately.
I pressed volume up/down and the caution droid remained on the screen. In a second attempt, while it was still on the screen, instead of pressing Vol Up/Down, I held down both buttons for a few seconds and it still did nothing. It just holds at the caution droid and then boots up regularly. Do I hold down the power button as well?

Last edited:
OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
It's technically supposed to be press and release volume up and down at the caution droid but on Xmas jelly I end up sometimes missing the combo exactly right and have to try it 2 or 3 times to get the recovery menu.
Thanks, that did it. Maybe that's one reason the JB update was yanked, if something like this is kinda glitchy. OMG though, that blue font! It's so freakin' hard to see. If they make it any smaller I'm going to ask Google to pay for my laser eye surgery so I can continue to see their font sizes. Yeah...good luck with that, right? I probably joked around about it on a thread a while ago about needing 20/0.000001 vision to see the screen.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I hate that font and the one in terminal emulator. I have to use a fly tying magnifier to execute commands in terminal sometimes.
Totally agree! This and the StatusBar Time's font size when the phone is booted up are two of my pet peeves with Android.

Thanks for your help!