3G Signal

erict

Reaction score
I have no issue with my 3G signal other then the occasional 3X/1X dance. I have great signal strength wherever I go except when I am at home. I live in a rural area and usually only get one to two bars. So I normally just use wifi when I'm at home. My question is, when on 3G is there a difference in download speed when you have full bars verses two bars? I ask this because I seem to get faster downloads when I'm around town with full 3G bars verses being at home on 3G with one to two bars.

I read this and wonder if this is an accurate statement.

Range and Signal

The greatest benefit of 3G Internet service is the fact that it can be received nearly anywhere. As long as you are in a location where a mobile phone signal can be received, you will be able to get online. However, the speed drops as you leave metropolitan areas. Although many networks have excellent 3G coverage, you can expect significantly slower speeds if you are not in or near a city. With WiFi, you will only be able to receive services if you are within approximately 200 feet of an access point. Outside of the immediate vicinity of the access point, your speed may drop, but it is more likely that you will simply lose service.

Last edited:

CxUNG

Reaction score
Use the Speedtest.net Speed Test app. In the market to see which is faster. Wifi over 3g vice versa.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
Use the Speedtest.net Speed Test app. In the market to see which is faster. Wifi over 3g vice versa.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

Actually my question isn't if wifi or 3g is faster then one another. What I'm trying to find out is if a low 3g signal will cause slower Internet speeds over a high signal. It seems that when I only have one or two bars the Internet is slower then when I have full bars. Is this an accurate assumption that the better the signal the faster 3g will be?

mewshi

Reaction score
as far as I know, that is 100% correct.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App