3g getting slower and slower, yet we pay the same...

Detonation

Reaction score
When I got my OG Droid at launch, I was pulling down 3g speeds of at least 1.0Mbps, if not closer to 1.5Mbps. Now I am struggling to even get .5Mbps. I know its not my signal, because I live in a downtown area and can see the tower in the distance (about 3 miles away).

Does anyone else think it's BS that Verizon continues to charge the same for their data plan, yet its getting slower and slower? I realize LTE will take care of this, but I shouldn't have to upgrade/pay to get acceptable speeds when I was getting them before at the same contracted price.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea not sure, might be some other issue for you there. I'm up in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin and just check. Im still rocking just under 1.5.

I've heard the signal is like getting a beer at a bar. If your some place with 1 bartender and 4 people service is fast and speedy, if your at a bar with 2 bartenders and 100 people service sucks. I'm guessing if your near milwaukee that the service has slowed with the addition of the iphone.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I live in a medium populated area and get 700ish kb/s. I really do think the area your in has to do with it, especially how many people weigh down the network in the area. Maybe yours just got more Vz customers overtime?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I live at the tail end/beginning of Parma and North Royalton in Ohio....I used to live in Lakewood.

This parma/n. royalton area has a smaller pop. density and below average reception coverage, I'm lucky to get between .6 and .8 mbps. I understand the signal quality has a lot to play for, but my dBm averages -80. Not too bad

Lakewood is small, overcrowded, and surrounded by cleveland and cleveland suburbs, yet on a typical day I can see anything from 1.4 to 2.3 mbps.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I was getting about 2-3 mbps before feburary 12th... now I get about .3 mbps. I'm going to say its because the massive amount of iphone users.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I live at the tail end/beginning of Parma and North Royalton in Ohio....I used to live in Lakewood.

This parma/n. royalton area has a smaller pop. density and below average reception coverage, I'm lucky to get between .6 and .8 mbps. I understand the signal quality has a lot to play for, but my dBm averages -80. Not too bad

Lakewood is small, overcrowded, and surrounded by cleveland and cleveland suburbs, yet on a typical day I can see anything from 1.4 to 2.3 mbps.

Id take 1.4mbs .... Im definitely be jealous over that.

sirdroid

Reaction score
When I got my OG Droid at launch, I was pulling down 3g speeds of at least 1.0Mbps, if not closer to 1.5Mbps. Now I am struggling to even get .5Mbps. I know its not my signal, because I live in a downtown area and can see the tower in the distance (about 3 miles away).

Does anyone else think it's BS that Verizon continues to charge the same for their data plan, yet its getting slower and slower? I realize LTE will take care of this, but I shouldn't have to upgrade/pay to get acceptable speeds when I was getting them before at the same contracted price.

I agree with you 100%. It's getting quite frustrating using internet on the phone and I am paying $60 on a family plan.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was getting about 2-3 mbps before feburary 12th... now I get about .3 mbps. I'm going to say its because the massive amount of iphone users.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Wow dude, that would be lots of iphones. Your phone ok? .3 is like barely even a connection. I dont think i could do much with that.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
And how can people even complain or remedy this issue? Throttle hacks give inconsistent results and need to be tailor made for each phone model, and there is never a guarantee given by VZW about your speeds ;)

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
And how can people even complain or remedy this issue? Throttle hacks give inconsistent results and need to be tailor made for each phone model, and there is never a guarantee given by VZW about your speeds ;)

Lol, if Vz guaranteed the speeds they would be wrong all the time. Even if they really meant it, it would be so hard to get consistent speeds for a specific customer with so many variables.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I just ran speedtest. The default server location is Clifton, NJ. It is about 130 miles away. I got 124 kbps down and 187 up. Then I changed to the server in NYC. It is about 144 miles away. I got 2232 kbps down and 846 up. That is just 2 minutes apart. Try a couple of different server locations and see how much of a difference it makes. I also got slow speeds with the default server a couple of days ago, but did not try any other locations.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
lol i am about to just throw my phone out the window...
-3g speeds are so bad i cant download apps... (everyone that lives near me has a F****** iphone)
-3g looses connection all the time. (because cm7)
-wifi barely work on my phone & never has.. ( wireless n router @ 5ghz)

none of this was a problem a few months ago before the iphone...

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You guys using no throttle modified services.jar?

{{ WugFresh }}