3G Connection Disconnects

mpnx2

Reaction score
Since the last update I have started noticing that my 3G connection will just quit working. At times I will lose the 3G icon and sometimes it stays and even shows bars but when the browser is open it says I need a network connection. I have ensured that the Mobile Network is checked and have also switched to. CDMA only but the issue remains. After some time the connection returns or I can force it with a restart of the phone. Any one else with this issue. Rooting looks better everyday

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I've been cursed with this phenomenon since I turned on my first Android phone...

A lot of people are having this problem, though no one really has a fix... It's odd, if memory serves, my first Thunderbolt did not have this problem, but my second one here does. I still have the old bolt, so I'll put the SIM card in that one and see if it has the problem too.

I only lose my data connection when tethering, it's always been that way. For 3G smartphones (my Droid X and Droid Incredible), going to WiFi Settings, then hitting menu, then Advanced, then changing the WiFi sleep policy to "never" ALWAYS fixed the data connection disconnecting problem.

I have a theory that the way 3G works on the Thunderbolt (simultaneous voice and data over 3G) is skewing the data connection, despite the aforementioned fix. That being said, I'll be messing with the EPST settings to see if a setting combination works in my favor... EPST, if you don't know, is the service programming app built in to HTC phones only, it's like QPST except you don't need a computer. Access it by dialing ##778# and hitting "call" if necessary. Edit Mode, and the password is 000000 (six zeroes).

I'll be working on this A LOT over the next few days and update if/when I figure anything out, a fix would be nice lol.

Last edited:

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I'm starting to think it has more to do with that "disable-free-hotspot" update earlier this month... Maybe Verizon disabled it for people still on the June and earlier software versions? All I know is I can't get through an iTunes song preview without losing my data connection..

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Okay I don't know if this is a permanent fix, but I was able to get through 2 iTunes song previews flawlessly, while browsing the web, and I'm posting this via my Thunderbolt on Mobile Hotspot, what I did was this:

In EPST, go to Modem Settings, then under "Rev. A" change from "eHRPD" (whatever the hell that is) to "Enable". So far so good, and SVDO (Simultaneous voice and data over 3G) still works.

If anyone out there in radioland knows anything about "eHRPD" or exactly what "Enable" and "Disable" enable and disable, please share with the class.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
That did not work....

Well I'll continue to try things out, try my other phone, letchall know if I get a REAL fix (data working for like...a day straight lol).

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well so far I figured this out:

In EPST, I was able to solve the 3G icon (thus the data connection) disconnecting, you know, when the data icon (be it 3G or 4GLTE) disappears from the notification bar and you lose your connection, then it comes back, then it disappears again, etc. Anyway, I stopped that by editing out #777 under I believe Data Parameters in the field Package String. If there is nothing in that field, and you are still losing the data icon physically, then let me know. I still have problems using the connection even though the 3G stays put. But that's part of the problem solved, right?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ehrpd is faster than rev a, but I notice that when their is fluctuations through lte the 3g will be down so ill switch to rev a to get me through the day and switch back the next day. If neither is working and you still can't get 3g STOP do not root just go back to stock and if you still having that issue take it to vzw.

eldub

Reaction score
I have had the problem with losing data since the last update. Isn't it great when in an attempt to fix one problem they cause another. I wasn't even having reboot issues. Anyway, vzw tech I called said solution was to hard reset the phone if that doesn't work replace with refurb. Seems to be their answer to every problem. Factory reset didn't fix it, but I refuse to trade in for refurb. I read in other forum that some people with similar problem fixed by replacing sim card. Vzw store tech didn't want to do it. I'm going to a different store and demanding new sim card but not getting my hopes up. Just have to hope they fix this on next software update. So annoying. Oh, and switching to enable rev a under modem as suggested didn't help either.

johnd09

Reaction score
I've been cursed with this phenomenon since I turned on my first Android phone...

A lot of people are having this problem, though no one really has a fix... It's odd, if memory serves, my first Thunderbolt did not have this problem, but my second one here does. I still have the old bolt, so I'll put the SIM card in that one and see if it has the problem too.

I only lose my data connection when tethering, it's always been that way. For 3G smartphones (my Droid X and Droid Incredible), going to WiFi Settings, then hitting menu, then Advanced, then changing the WiFi sleep policy to "never" ALWAYS fixed the data connection disconnecting problem.

I have a theory that the way 3G works on the Thunderbolt (simultaneous voice and data over 3G) is skewing the data connection, despite the aforementioned fix. That being said, I'll be messing with the EPST settings to see if a setting combination works in my favor... EPST, if you don't know, is the service programming app built in to HTC phones only, it's like QPST except you don't need a computer. Access it by dialing ##778# and hitting "call" if necessary. Edit Mode, and the password is 000000 (six zeroes).

I'll be working on this A LOT over the next few days and update if/when I figure anything out, a fix would be nice lol.

From what I have read, eHRPD is a bridge between cdma and LTE, it is meant to smooth the transition, it supposedly makes the change over from 3g to LTE much faster when going between areas. The technology between eHRPD and LTE are more similar than cdma and LTE so they work better together.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
.... And some people say disabling it in EPST solve their tethering problems... Highly doubt that, whatever is causing this, it can't be fixed in EPST, I've tried changing around EVERYTHING. Perhaps it is a tethering filter Verizon put in place after the early July OTA ended the free mobile hotspot promo... To stop ppl who reject the update from tethering. Still working on it...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums