3g/4g question

PatrickJ

Reaction score
I'm living in an area that only supports 3g. Now when I go to upgrade my phone, can I get a 4g phone? Will the phone always be searching for 4g & waste a lot of battery?? Also...will you need to change plans once 4g comes to your area or is still the same price for smartphones with or without 4g??

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Phone will default to 3G if no 4G signal is detected. You most likely will have to change to a 4G plan.

Beka27

Reaction score
I don't believe any pricing info has been released yet. There is a TON of speculation, but no official pricing was revealed yesterday (AFAIK).

OP
PatrickJ

PatrickJ

Reaction score
So basically you'll be forced into a plan that you don't need if you upgrade to a 4g phone. :icon_evil:

Will this be the end to 3g phones??

Beka27

Reaction score
It's kind of "wait and see" right now. We don't have concrete info on anything. I'm wondering if they're not just trying to have people "fall in love" with the specs of the new phones, then they're going to "drop the bomb".

Maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong. I haven't seen any NEW 3G only phones. 4G phones can be used with 3G, 3G phones CANNOT be used with 4G (and they are going to want EVERYONE on 4G), so I doubt we'll see new 3G only phones.

OP
PatrickJ

PatrickJ

Reaction score
Hmmmm...well I guess I'll just wait & see like everyone else & hold on to my Droid 1.

Beka27

Reaction score
I have a new DX (less than 3 months), so I definitely have time to "wait and see"... I'm just kicking back and seeing how all of this plays out. ;o)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
so I doubt we'll see new 3G only phones.

This is expected, Why create devices that runs off of old technology when your spending 100's of millions creating a new network.

OP
PatrickJ

PatrickJ

Reaction score
I may look into a DX without a contract. All I really wanted in a new phone was a bigger screen, no keyboard, kickstand & a HDMI output. The DX does all of that except kickstand so maybe I'll keep an eye out for one & watch how all this unfolds.