Does a 4g phone have to use the 4g network?

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find the exact answer I was looking for...sorry if it's already been discussed.

I currently have a Droid2...and upgrade time is coming up in a few months and I am going to consider the Droid4, which is a 4G phone.

Since 4G generally drains the battery pretty quick, and if that is the case on the Droid4, would it be possible to just use the 3G network instead of 4G?

In short, can 4G phones be set to just use the 3G network to save on battery life and whatnot? I assumed so since if you are not in a 4G area, it will run on 3G...but just wanted to make sure it was available as an option.

Thanks!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Yes, you can toggle it between CDMA and CDMA/LTE which means it will run on just 3g even in a 4g area or it will automatically switch between the two, using the strongest signal.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you'd have no data issues (except when LTE goes down) with the D4. I think it's going to be a great phone, so if that's what you're looking to get, good choice

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
you'd have no data issues (except when LTE goes down) with the D4.
I think it's going to be a great phone, so if that's what you're looking to get, good choice
Thanks...I hope so.
I am a physical QWERTY keyboard guy. I owned the original Android phone, the G1 when I was with T-Mobile...and when I switched to Verizon in Oct. of 2009, I got the D2, which I really like. It was a HUGE improvement over the G1 and it is a good looking phone. I was looking at the D3 because of the extra row of keys for the numbers and the improved slider, and the look is pretty slick...but I'll wait and check out the D4 when it comes out. So far it looks very nice.
I'm hoping they improve the camera a bit from the D2 version...I heard the D3 didn't make any improvements on it and it could be much better. Other than that, it's been a great phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks...I hope so.
I am a physical QWERTY keyboard guy. I owned the original Android phone, the G1 when I was with T-Mobile...and when I switched to Verizon in Oct. of 2009, I got the D2, which I really like. It was a HUGE improvement over the G1 and it is a good looking phone. I was looking at the D3 because of the extra row of keys for the numbers and the improved slider, and the look is pretty slick...but I'll wait and check out the D4 when it comes out. So far it looks very nice.
I'm hoping they improve the camera a bit from the D2 version...I heard the D3 didn't make any improvements on it and it could be much better. Other than that, it's been a great phone.
Yeah the keyboard looks real nice to use on the D4. My friend is going to get it when it comes out so I'll get my hands-on time with it then. I thought the D3 keyboard was great, but this keyboard looks even better. I only hope it has a better screen than the Razr, every Razr I've seen has this green tint to it, very unattractive and it was the dealbreaker for me when I was considering my upgrade.