32GB Micro SD Card

pariniel

Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference between different 32gb micro sd cards are. I was looking for new ones on ebay under the buy it now section. On ebay SanDisk cards are all $85-$100 while cards made by Kingston and Transflash are $50-$60. I was wondering if the micro sd needed certain specs to work for the droid phones, more specifically the droid X. Would the cheaper Kingston and Transflash suffice? The 16gb card preinstalled doesn't say SanDisk on it and was also wondering what the make of this card is.

Thanks

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I can't answer your question but I can give you the following warning -- do NOT buy any SD card directly from China as you cannot guarantee its efficacy, reliability, or really get any service if it fails. The price is too good to be true for a reason.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Like most things you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones will probably work, but they are cheaper for a reason.

The sdcard in my D1 is a sandisk....thought that's what they used stock on all of them.

For me I have always gone for quality and I know sandisks are good cards so don't mind paying extra for them.

Sent from somewhere...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
+1 for not buying from China.....no offense to them of course....

Sent from somewhere...

OP
P

pariniel

Reaction score
Ya I thought it was too good to be true, but was hoping someone had success with one of those cards.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
For the record, :welcome: to the forum and Kingston makes decent (but not exceptional) stuff. It'd probably work, but it might not have the longevity of a Sandisk.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of fakes on ebay. Buy reputable brands from reputable sellers.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also you might see a difference in price because of the class of the item. Cards have a class number associated to them. The ones that came in the droid 1 was a sandisk class 2, which is decent but there is a difference between a class 2 and lets say a class 6. The difference is in how fast the cards are. Class 2 is the slowest speeds for a SDHC card, class 10 is the highest, so keep that in mind when your looking at prices, you may see that one is a class 2 and the other is a class 4, 6, or 10. Of course higher classes are more expensive :).

schwa6970

Reaction score
I have always been. Under the impression any given sd in a particular class are more or less exactly the same. Most of these things regardless of the brand name that's on them are all made iin 2 or 3 different factorys in china. While the get what you pay for rings true to an extent its not always the case with stuff like this.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
To a point that is true. However, better names demand more quality testing, and the ones that fail in-house testing are often resold under lower sizes -- or as is happening more and more lately, simply resold at a lower price and let the buyer beware. This is why we strongly suggest you buy from a reputable dealer and source locally whenever possible.