Micro SD card help?!

arkabeoeht

Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have a 16 gb class 2 micro SD card in my D1. I also have a 16 gb class 4 micro SD card in my possesion, completely empty (I think).
So I ould like to know:

1: How can I run liek a diagnostics on a card, to find out stuff that was supposed to be deleted, and more info about it.

2: What is the best way for me to copy all of my stuff from one card to the other, then totally erase the other card.

3: Drive forensics? I think that will answer my 1st question, but what is it and how cna I get it?
I have Windows XP, Mac OSX leopard, a D1

P.S. Are kingston 32 gb micro SD cards good quality?

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
1) Got a Linux box? FSCK it. Got a Windows box? Run scandisk. Those will check for errors. Want to totally wipe it? Do a full format on your PC and then then format it again in your phone.

2) Copy it to your PC and then see answer 1, transfer it to the new card.

3) No idea. However, a class 4 card will run no faster in your Droid than a class 2. The Droid is only able to transfer at class 2 speed.

P.S. Some Droids have problems running some 32GB cards.

OP
A

arkabeoeht

Reaction score
I was a fetus

I think I may still have been a fetus when MSDOS was the mainstream, so how exactly do I run scandisk?

OP
A

arkabeoeht

Reaction score
What is it showing me?

When I run chkdsk, it is just showing me file sizes, and free space? I was trying to locate EXACTLY where the files that were "deleted" are.

OP
A

arkabeoeht

Reaction score
I got the SD card as an insurance replacement

I received the class 4 as an insurance replacement, so I am curious about what files may still be on it.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I received the class 4 as an insurance replacement, so I am curious about what files may still be on it.

So you are trying to see if there are files on the card from the "previous customer"?

That's an interesting tactic.

OP
A

arkabeoeht

Reaction score
Yes

Basically, yes that is what I am trying to d, I am also trying to see what files are left on my other sd card, so that no one can steal them.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Format your card twice, then put a few files on it, delete a couple, repeat, defrag it, and then format it again. You'll be shortening the life of the card, but big whoop, right?

Oh, and they don't want it back if you're turning your old phone in. Really. It's considered a consumable and is replaced before shipping out a new one -- or at least it's supposed to be. :)