$250-299 for the Xoom???

ghoticov

Reaction score
I would bet that the $799 Xoom is also the 3G version and not the WiFi only version. The WiFi version has to be in the $599 range for it to be attractive. Otherwise, many will just pass over it for the iPad 2.

wil318466

Reaction score
I think the problem here is considering tablets a "toy". It's not. It's interesting that as I read this thread I was checking out a person's Apple iPad here at work. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was great. Great to read in bed, great to look up a webpage or information when he was in the living room, something to read in the bathroom (heh), etc.

I asked him if it was worth the 500-600 bucks and he said it was better than spending 800 on a laptop that you can't read in bed, and it starts right up.

Sounds good to me. If you can afford it, then why not? I was actually thinking of getting one to use in the living room. This kind of pushed me more towards doing so.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Well it's going to be 699.99 at Best Buy. I guess I'll have to see what the reviews are saying.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

fascinater

Reaction score
Seems to me if the 3g version is 699 then the wifi only version should be 599.
I can live with 599.

Sent from my 1.3Ghz Voodooized Fascinate.

OP
C

ckeegan

Reaction score
I can live with 599.
If there wasn't a Verizon logo in the top right corner of the Xoom, I would believe a Wi-Fi only version was coming to the US. In reality, the logo is there, and Verizon paid (in some way) for it to be there. I just can't imagine we would see a Wi-Fi only version of the Xoom in the US until 3rd quarter, at the earliest. Granted, you can buy it from overseas, but the import/shipping is going to eat into those savings big time.

Honestly, Motorola is listening to everyone flipping out about the price. In fact, they're probably sitting there laughing at the reactions, because now everyone is going to think $649 is a great deal when they end up launching it at that price.

Goodlefeed

Reaction score
I read that the Xoom will actually be between $500-$700 depending on model choice, although I'm hoping it isn't that much!

OP
C

ckeegan

Reaction score
I read that the Xoom will actually be between $500-$700 depending on model choice, although I'm hoping it isn't that much!
You're hoping it isn't $500-700??? $500 for the Xoom with no contract would make it $70 cheaper than the Droid X off contract. Somehow I don't think that seems logical.

Goodlefeed

Reaction score
You're hoping it isn't $500-700??? $500 for the Xoom with no contract would make it $70 cheaper than the Droid X off contract. Somehow I don't think that seems logical.

I think it needs to be at least slightly cheaper than the iPad in order to compete with Apple's dominance of the tablet market.

I'd be willing to pay $500 for a wifi version in any case.

xandor

Reaction score
I can live with 599.
If there wasn't a Verizon logo in the top right corner of the Xoom, I would believe a Wi-Fi only version was coming to the US. In reality, the logo is there, and Verizon paid (in some way) for it to be there. I just can't imagine we would see a Wi-Fi only version of the Xoom in the US until 3rd quarter, at the earliest. Granted, you can buy it from overseas, but the import/shipping is going to eat into those savings big time.

Honestly, Motorola is listening to everyone flipping out about the price. In fact, they're probably sitting there laughing at the reactions, because now everyone is going to think $649 is a great deal when they end up launching it at that price.

Well, the galaxy tab is reported to be having a wifi only version coming to the US, and that sports a verizon logo. If it's less than 700, I'll probably get one.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
C

ckeegan

Reaction score
Well, the galaxy tab is reported to be having a wifi only version coming to the US, and that sports a verizon logo. If it's less than 700, I'll probably get one.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Yeah, 4 months after the 3G version. Sales have likely flopped, so they have no other choice to get rid of existing inventory. They probably couldn't release it immediately after CES, since they have workers busy in warehouses, ripping out 3G radios. Quite honestly, with what's coming to the market, I see absolutely no point in even releasing the same ol' Galaxy Tab, just in Wi-Fi only.

It's also important to note that while carriers had their logos on the Galaxy Tab, no single carrier had exclusivity for the Tab for any period of time. That's a big difference compared to the Xoom.

Last edited: