2 silly questions- android email vs. blackberry email

CBLJazz

Reaction score
i just switched my wife over to an android phone from bb.
she seems quite happy but i'm curious about the email difference.

will there be a delay in her getting her messages on this android phone vs. her bb?

i set up 3 accounts for her-
1. gmail- using gmail on phone
2. yahoo- using roid app
3. godaddy- using email app on phone

i set it to check for messages every 5 minutes- does that signify a delay?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i just switched my wife over to an android phone from bb.
she seems quite happy but i'm curious about the email difference.

will there be a delay in her getting her messages on this android phone vs. her bb?

i set up 3 accounts for her-
1. gmail- using gmail on phone
2. yahoo- using roid app
3. godaddy- using email app on phone

1. Shouldn't be a delay in gmail. Gmail will hit your phone faster then the notifier on your computer.
2. Probably. I don't use yahoo but from what I read people have some issues with that.
3. Same thing as 2.

Blackberry email is easier to configure and I think it's faster then gmail when handling other accounts. Blackberry email was also fast with gmail because they have an agreement with gmail to instantly push any gmail.

HCdroid

Reaction score
..or you could have Gmail handle all your mail by utilizing the Mail Fetcher feature (as long as your other email providers offer POP access)

I have Gmail handle my AOL mail and it works flawlessly. It even labels the AOL mail when it arrives. I'm a former BB user and find this feature very useful.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to say. The main difference is that BIS is designed to automatically decrease polling intervals on POP accounts if the account seems to be actively receiving email. If the account doesn't seem active it will increase polling intervals to 15 minutes.

Fixed polling intervals of 5 minutes may yield faster delivery times or slower delivery times depending on how BIS would have responded at that particular point in time. I suggest just seeing how she thinks mail delivery is on the Android device.

IIRC, RIM does have some sort of arrangement with both gmail and Yahoo. I can't say if delivery would be faster on a BB or not.

Last edited:
OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.
I just did a somewhat non scientific test.

i sent emails to all 3 accounts on her phone and she said there was no delay.