2 ? For soak testers when update comes out

Reaction score
1. Is the update the same build # as the leaked update?

2. If you have the leaked update on your phone were you able to successfully update your phone if it is a different update?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
The answer to number two is reportedly NO!

The test hasn't begun yet, but I am curious about the first question as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
See I have a hard time believeing that. If it different build your phone is not up to date so it should work. The fact is nobody knows.

mmsomekid

Reaction score
What happened to the leaked update? I've searched all over the place to try it out and it seems to have completely disappeared...?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Reportedly is reportedly after all, but I do get that info from the Moto forum.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Well I did read #2 as will it get updated OTA, so I think the probability is that presuming you can get a copy of the zip that you could use it to update your phone, but the Moto Forum moderators are saying you won't get it and may even be saying it won't work. Perhaps some of the devs out here can tell us their experience with how these work.

leobg

Reaction score
#2 will not work for sure. Reason is simple. All these "OTA" updates are made in a form of patch in order to reduce distribution size (smaller file - carries only the difference - delta - between current and new software release. Patch process alters existing files by applying the "delta". If the original file is not there, patch process cannot update it to the new version. Original file won't be there if you have already applied another (unsupported) update. You will be stuck on this until somebody releases a full (non-patch) release also known as SBF. SBF can flash phone to the desired software version, without checking what is the current software release. This also has some limitations. Shall Motorola decide, they can make SBF containing older software version not apply over newer software installed on phone.

A word of advice: without a "safety net" (SBF available so you can flash back stock software) it is quite risky to play this game, since you could easily end up with semi or non-functional phone. If you want to play the game - play it, but do not whine or complain when things go wrong.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
A word of advice: without a "safety net" (SBF available so you can flash back stock software) it is quite risky to play this game, since you could easily end up with semi or non-functional phone. If you want to play the game - play it, but do not whine or complain when things go wrong.

Otherwise known as "Sometimes it pays to be patient and give that paranoid voice in your head room to express itself".

grnidkjun

Reaction score
Forgive my new-ness to updates, but with these over air updates when they come out do I have to take it?
If I don't, can I get it at a later date after seeing other reports?
If I take it and it causes issues can I restore my phone?

It sounds like the big fix is the camera. I downloaded picsin and my camera works better with it than the stock app.

Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
You don't have to but it will keep coming up over and over until you do. There might be a way to stop it but I don't know what that would be. I did the leaked update so it wont even come up for me. Hoping for an sfb file soon so I can go backl

grnidkjun

Reaction score
Do you want to go back because you don't like the leaked update or just so you can get the final one?

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Forgive my new-ness to updates, but with these over air updates when they come out do I have to take it?
If I don't, can I get it at a later date after seeing other reports?
If I take it and it causes issues can I restore my phone?

It sounds like the big fix is the camera. I downloaded picsin and my camera works better with it than the stock app.

Thanks!

-no you dont have to take it but as stated below it will remind you about 5 times a day
-yes you can get it later as well but again gotta deal with it reminding you
-after you take an "official" OTA update you can NOT go back to what you have now bc if you flash the sbf that comes out for the phone now you will have a shinny new paper weight bc the sbf file they might release now is for the current software on the phone so a old sbf software will hang up when it gets to the new software that will be changed when the update arrives and thats a really bad thing

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you want to go back because you don't like the leaked update or just so you can get the final one?

I would like final one but I do like the leaked version. I thought that we would have sfb file by now. But nothing I can do at the moment. Taking non blue pics is really nice though.

spillner

Reaction score
I would like final one but I do like the leaked version. I thought that we would have sfb file by now. But nothing I can do at the moment. Taking non blue pics is really nice though.

Wait, I thought the update didn't do anything to the camera. Please tell me their are no more blue pictures with this update. If so, can you post a pic that would normally have been blue on here? Thanks

spillner

Reaction score
Wait, I thought the update didn't do anything to the camera. Please tell me their are no more blue pictures with this update. If so, can you post a pic that would normally have been blue on here? Thanks

Nevermind, I just found the thread about the update