In-Pocket Detection Trouble?

akhi216

Reaction score
It seems that the In-Pocket Detection function of the D3 doesn't work. Sometime when I lock the screen and put it in my pocket the screen turns on by itself. I think that it is the culprit behind the D3 powering itself on after shutting it down because every time I turn it on and shut the phone off, sooner or later it powers itself on. Now that I've turn it off I'm not having the phone turn itself on.

FWIW, I've installed the leaked update but I've had the same problem before I installed the update.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

pistacio

Reaction score
The bionic owners reported that when using the in Pocket, you should let the screen shut itself off without using your power button. If you do use your power button after enabling in Pocket, it disables it. Could be an overlooked bug.

sent from my D1 while the D3 sleeps a little...

pistacio

Reaction score
This comes from the droid bionic tech support section:

Well now I had a chance to play around with this some more last night and today, and at least on my phone...so far...I seem to have found something.

Regardless of phone orientation, when I enable In-Pocket Protection and put it in my pocket it DOES work...until the first time that I manually blank the screen with the power button. From then on it will NEVER work, until I go to Settings to disable and re-enable. Then again it will work always, until I forget and manually kill via power button. I have now done as many as 30 in-and-out of pocket, after and while running various apps, and the protection always works...until I forget and manually use the power button to turn off.

So now it seems to work great, as long as I am willing to let the screen time out on it's own when I set it on a desk or something. In order to save battery I normally would not want to do this with my 2 minute time out, but I have had mostly decent success holding the phone against my chest for a moment to simulate going into the pocket. The key there seems to be having the entire face well covered.

Give it a try.

pistacio

Reaction score
Did you read the quote? It works as long as you let it do its thing... don't manually turn off your screen.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

OP
A

akhi216

Reaction score
It doesn't work for me on the D3 regardless hence the issues I spoke about in the OP.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I was under the impression that with the in pocket detection on it's just supposed to keep the phone locked and from turning on while in your pocket. I ALWAYS use the power button to turn the screen off when I'm done using the phone like after I send a text or am done with a call or am just done using the phone and set it down. Should I turn the in pocket off or when I put it in my pocket just not turn the screen off manually? Maybe I'll do some experimenting with it and see how it works...

Erikbal

Reaction score
Ok I just left the screen on and put the phone in my pocket and pulled it out a few seconds later and the screen was still on and I also manually turned the screen off and put it in my pocket and while in my pocket I hit the power button then pulled it out a second or two later and the screen was on, yet it's supposed to stop it from turning on while in your pocket correct? If so then it's obviously not working right. Maybe I should just turn the in pocket off then...

OP
A

akhi216

Reaction score
Ok I just left the screen on and put the phone in my pocket and pulled it out a few seconds later and the screen was still on and I also manually turned the screen off and put it in my pocket and while in my pocket I hit the power button then pulled it out a second or two later and the screen was on, yet it's supposed to stop it from turning on while in your pocket correct? If so then it's obviously not working right. Maybe I should just turn the in pocket off then...

This.