2 D3's and a wifi issue

fred114

Reaction score
Hate to start another wifi thread, but didn't want to hijack someone else's thread with my issues.

Wife and I got our D3's Monday. I have not been able to get them connected to our wifi. But we have 2 different problems. My phone, connects just fine, get a good wifi symbol in the notification bar, signal strength says excellent under settings. But get "server time out" about 95% of the time when I try using the browser or market. My wife's phone just connects, then disconnects every few seconds.

I know it is not my router, as our D1's never had any issues, and I fired mine back up and sure enough, connected immediately. Laptop connects every time as well. Oh, and I run WPA2 personal security settings so that should not be an issue.

I went ahead and pulled battery on both, no improvement. Did a factory reset on mine last night, and still have the exact problem.

Anyone else have similar issues as mine and find a way to get them connected? Or should we be taking them back to Verizon?

Thanks

LT*

Reaction score
I've heard of issues with letting Google restore your wifi settings. Did you reset each phone up or let Google do it?

OP
F

fred114

Reaction score
I've heard of issues with letting Google restore your wifi settings. Did you reset each phone up or let Google do it?

I did reset the each phone's wifi settings, several times now actually. So on our phones, that is not working. I may try changing from WPA2 to WPA. I don't see how that would help, but who knows. The D1's have been connected to the WPA2 for two years and the D3 should certainly be able to.

Thanks for the replies

NoBloatware

Reaction score
The D1's have been connected to the WPA2 for two years and the D3 should certainly be able to.

On the Droid X, if my memory serves me, they had problems with WIFI & WPA. An OTA fixed it so it can take them time to work out the kinks.

OP
F

fred114

Reaction score
Well I told myself that I was not going to change my router settings, but I did. I change from the WPA2 settings to the WPA settings. And lo and behold, both phones connected up right away and are operating blazing fast. Plus changing the security setting was a simple as a drop down menu. Did not have to change anything else. I would rather keep my WPA2 setting though, so think I may get Verizon involved. I was told over on the Motorola support forums that there seems to be a small population of these phones with bad wifi chips.(Not sure if this is documented or his speculation) He had to do the samething I did. I not sure if there was a way to test the wifi chip or he just convinced his local store, but he got a new phone and was able to connect back to his WPA2 settings.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. To anyone else having this issue, at least a temporary fix is changing to WPA settings.