2.2 update - can no longer connect to exchange - Help

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Kinda scary to use a random app off the web. Could steal your passwords. Plus, it probably still has all the bugs of the stock client. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk--just sayin'

This is not a random app. Check the link. Google screwed up email.apk after FRG01B. You can pull email.apk from FRG01B and push it to your current rom. It will solve the problem.

It's not completely random. He took the mail app from the Sapphire distribution which I assume we can trust (????), decompiled it, altered it (!!!!!), and recompiled it. Here's what he says:

First - I take no responsibility if your phone is stolen and all your company secrets get stolen. I have edited the Email.apk

Now I'm not programmer--oh wait, I am a programmer. If he wanted to, he could have stuck something in there to contact his web server with your mail login and password. It would be as simple as one line of code. Unless you decompile the APK he's offering for download and comb through and understand every line, you can't trust it.

You see, I don't know who this guy is who's offering this email app. I think you'd have to be crazy to trust him. I'm really surprised how people are so willing to ask for APKs and blindly install them. If you enter passwords into that app or that app asks for permissions to access your contacts, sd card, internet, whatever...watch out!

I'm not accusing this guy of stealing passwords. I don't know. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I'd have to decompile it and look at the code myself.

atlharry

Reaction score
wouldn't that apply to K-9 as well? I dunno. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I'm not using K-9 or this apk, but I would think your logic applies to any situation. Wallpaper app or Email app, every time you download an app, you expose yourself to issues like this.

atlharry

Reaction score
wouldn't that apply to K-9 as well? I dunno. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I'm not using K-9 or this apk, but I would think your logic applies to any situation. Wallpaper app or Email app, every time you download an app, you expose yourself to issues like this.

Ok, well I see now that it's open source... K-9 gets a pass. haha (not that I looked at the code, but at least it's there to pick through if you need to)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
K9
-devs have been fixing and enhancing the stock client for months
-plan to roll changes into the stock client (I think they work for google and this is their "20% project")
-source code available
-scrutiny of google and security researchers because k9 is widely used (and in the market)

Random APK downloaded from a discussion board
-oh come on!

HDTVsportsfan

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'm going to have to look into this because my company has 5 Droids and we are still getting Exchange mail. I'm pretty sure we have 2007. We did have some certificate problems but worked thru them when we first got the phones back in December. We did not have any problems after the update or have to pay anything after 2.2

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2.2 on the Droid 2 works on Exchange for $30 still. The priginal update has issues for sure, the second one may also...........but im sure they will get it fixed sooner or later

delcopa

Reaction score
Looks like my bosses phone updated to 2.2 over the weekend. It will no longer connect to our exchange server. I've tried just about everything I can think of. My phone is rooted, it did not update and still connects to the exchange server fine.

Does anyone know whats going on here?

The problem is with the policy requiring SSL encryption if this is turned off then you can connect. I only had luck with the BB rom being able to connect with SSL required on the server.

I wrote up a thing about this not too far back if you look at my prior posts.

Lizardisanerd

Reaction score
K9 vs Touchdown vs waiting

So... I really need to be able to check my corporate email and it suddenly stopped working after the upgrade, as did my corporate calendar. Both of these are reasons to have purchased a droid and kinda dealbreakers for me. If I do k9 does it give me my calendar back??? What about touchdown?

danwanna

Reaction score
Touchdown will give you your Calendar and Contacts as well as email. I purchased it and used it for more than 6 months. I am trying the stock email app again at the moment because I am looking for a combined email and calendar view, but if I have any issues I will switch back to Touchdown in a second.

Slightly off topic:
One nice feature of Touchdown is that it only Password/Pin protects your outlook data. If you choose to you can keep the rest of your phone unprotected while still keeping your companies data secure.

Lizardisanerd

Reaction score
Nope!

I downloaded touchdown (or the exchange for 2.x that is supposed to be for the free trial before touchdown) and it won't configure any more than the stock email app that won't configure.

I had perfect email and calendar until about 6:00 this morning when my phone upgraded... now not even the IT guys at work can figure the darn thing out!

Any suggestions?

OP
C

catskin

Reaction score
I had no problem configuring Touchdown, I used ActiveSync Only on the account page, and Uses SSL and Trust Cert on the connection page. This is connecting to Exchange 2003 - all the rest of the setting are as you would expect for your server (server name, Domain\LoginID etc.)

I did not use the quick connect, I manually typed in all the addresses.

I used the 1.x version, not the 2.x version.

caverdan

Reaction score
A co-worker installed Verizon's OTA update this morning and his exchange immediately stopped working. We have confirmed that we have the corporate data plan, so that is not the issue as previously suggested. Another co-worker has a rooted/rom-ed 2.2 (FRF84B) , and exchange works fine on that. Any new information on this?

caverdan

Reaction score
Android 2.2 Verizon Exchange Sync Fix

Hi All,

Got the exchange problem fixed last night. After reading a bunch of different stuff online, tried swapping the self signed SSL certificate on our exchange 2003 server for a 3rd party signed certificate (got it from Godaddy, but there are lots of others). This caused all our droids that had stopped syncing with exchange after the OTA update from Verizon to resume syncing. It seems the checkbox in the Droid mail client's setup for "accept all certificates" is misleading as it certainly doesn't accept ALL certificates anymore.

This is good if you're an admin and can swap the certificates, but if you're an end user you might have to talk to your IT department, or if you can't get them to budge, you might have to use a 3rd party app that doesn't require this, like Touchdown etc.

FWIW, one of our users had a rom of 2.2 FRF84B, and the self signed cert worked fine on this, so this may have been one of the changes from the unofficial to the official release.

I hope this helps somebody. I know I searched a lot to try and find some info on this and it was pretty sparse.

Dan

jenkwallace

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got the exchange problem fixed last night. After reading a bunch of different stuff online, tried swapping the self signed SSL certificate on our exchange 2003 server for a 3rd party signed certificate (got it from Godaddy, but there are lots of others). This caused all our droids that had stopped syncing with exchange after the OTA update from Verizon to resume syncing. It seems the checkbox in the Droid mail client's setup for "accept all certificates" is misleading as it certainly doesn't accept ALL certificates anymore.

This is good if you're an admin and can swap the certificates, but if you're an end user you might have to talk to your IT department, or if you can't get them to budge, you might have to use a 3rd party app that doesn't require this, like Touchdown etc.

FWIW, one of our users had a rom of 2.2 FRF84B, and the self signed cert worked fine on this, so this may have been one of the changes from the unofficial to the official release.

I hope this helps somebody. I know I searched a lot to try and find some info on this and it was pretty sparse.

Dan

Anyone else come across this? Notify Verizon @ all? Just curious as to others, this has to be an issues for many many users.

Thanks.