2.2 Rooted - boot ani issue...

USAF_ff51

Reaction score
<SOLVED> 2.2 Rooted - boot ani issue...

mods: apologies if this is in the wrong spot... first post...

So, here's my phone:

HTC Incredible
2.2 Froyo OTA (before rooted)
Rooted with unrEVOked 3
ADW.Launcher
Astro file explorer

Here's my issue:

Attempting to change my boot animation. I searched around quite a bit and followed the general order of things. Downloaded the zip of the android pissing on the apple and renamed it to "bootanimation.zip" and placed in my C:\sdk\tools. I then attempted to adb push said file to /data/local. Command prompt gave me total kB or whatever and it looks like the file was moved. However, I would reboot and same creepy "droid" scenario (altho I do have silent boot applied, so no voice :D). I then d/l'd Astro and went looking. Came to find out that under /data there is no folders or files, nor will it allow me to make any there. I read a post on here from dadajack saying that his bootani was actually under /system/media instead so I looked there and low and behold, there it was. But for some reason Astro wouldn't let me rename the bootanimation.zip that was there (I was going to rename to realbootanimation.zip for back-up purposes) nor would it let me copy and paste or move my bootanimation.zip from my SD card to /system/media. Now that I knew where it actually was though, I figured I could just direcly do an adb push of the file to /system/media. No dice. Adb returned an error saying that that location is read-only. Hmm, how does that make sense being that my phone is rooted? I looked under /system/bin and there is the "su" file. So, any suggestions on A) wtf I'm doing wrong and B) what I can do to fix it???

Thanks in advance! Sorry about the post being so long, I just wanted to be as inclusive with the info as possible.

Last edited:
OP
U

USAF_ff51

Reaction score
One more thing...

As I said, I have the "su" file under /system/bin. However, I followed these abd instructions and ran into an issue:

cd C:\**your sdk location**\tools === Press Enter

adb devices === You should see your device listed

adb shell === you should see $ in the next line

su === you should see # in the next line if you are already rooted

The last one is where I ran into the issue. I did all of the above in order and when I ran "su" all I got was "su" on the next line and then an error "Permission denied". Again, highly confused since I believe my phone is fully rooted. Did I mess up during root???

OP
U

USAF_ff51

Reaction score
Update...

Fixed the "su" issue in adb:

I needed to have "stay awake" checked and the SuperUser Permissions (ninja) app open. Then when I ran adb su it popped up on the phone asking for permission. Sorry for such a noob oversight. And hopefully this helps if anybody else has had this issue.

However, I still can't change my boot ani! :X
I have found my stock bootanimation.zip located under /system/media but Astro won't let me rename it to something else. I'm sure there is an adb command to rename files, but I can't seem to find it. Anybody?

Also, tried to adb push my bootanimation.zip to /system/media now that I got the adb su fixed. Yes, I'm in my C:\sdk\tools. Here's what I get: "failed to copy bootanimation.zip to /system/media/bootanimation.zip: Read-only file system" :X wtf???

OP
U

USAF_ff51

Reaction score
Boot Ani finally!

Thanks to a lot of help from dadajack, I was finally able to get my boot ani to work!

I had to find where it was and I needed to mount in order to write to the location. A little tedious with adb, but I didn't want to spend $4 on Root Explorer. I know, I'm stingy lol. Nonetheless, problem solved and I know have my boot ani up of the android pissing on the apple! :D :D :D