2.2 ota update wont stop downloading!

jonh1125

Reaction score
I don't know what to do?? I'm not very knowledgeable with rooting and flashing, (I bought my Droid on ebay already flashed). I think the droid is running smoked glass v6.0. The phone is flashed to metro pcs, everything works great but ever since the 2.2 ota update came out, my phone automatically downloads the update(takes over an hr without wi-fi) after the download it says need a restart in the settings-about phone-system updates page, but there is no restart or install prompt but only the option to download it again. And if I don't the phone downloads it every 3 to 4 hours, slows my connection to a crawl and kills my battery. Please someone help!

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SG6 is an old Rom that might not have an OTA block built in (not sure).

If you want you can get some info/terminology in link 1 of my sig, then maybe try a 2.2 Rom.

OP
J

jonh1125

Reaction score
Should I get rid of my smoked glassv6 and get something newer? What would be the best for my situation?

OP
J

jonh1125

Reaction score
Okay so I've seen that the most popular rom is ChevyNo1, so I guess I will go with that one. Is changing the rom the only thing that I need to do?

InfernoX51

Reaction score
Most, if not all, newer custom mods will either

. Have ota blocked by default
. Give you the option to block it
. Have the frg22d fingerprint, therefore not requiring it.

If you get ss 4.7 from chevy you will be good to go.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
J

jonh1125

Reaction score
I also wanted to let you know my kernel version is: 2.629-omap1-g1c56172-dirtyadamz@ubuntu #3 , will this be a problem?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you flash Chevy's Rom it will put a new kernel on for you so you will be all set

OP
J

jonh1125

Reaction score
Okay so I got as far as getting my droid into recovery mode by holding x and renaming chevyno1 to update.zip; however, I have a message saying Finding update package...Opening update package...Verifying update package...E:update.zip install blocked Installation aborted. Hopefully someone can help me out

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you reboot holding X, what recovery do you get?

You are sure it's named update.zip not update.zip.zip right?

OP
J

jonh1125

Reaction score
I get SPRecovery (Android system recovery <2e>), Yeah I made sure to put just "update" (without the quots) because my computer doesn't show file extensions.

OP
J

jonh1125

Reaction score
Okay never mind sorry about that, I think I didn't highlight the option of allow update.zip... I did that now, and WOW!..... Simply amazing!.... You guys were a great help, I would like to thank you guys personally, Thank you very much, and I do want to verify that it did not mess up anything with my metropcs settings. Thanks again you guys!

jrmdroid

Reaction score
If you install Chevy's SS 4.7 You will still get the ota download over and over but it will not do anything but keep downloading. Please check the below for a fix. Chevy will have this fixed in SS 4.8.

Also, at the end of this post there is a link, OTA Update Blocking which is good aproch to what I did.

To stop the OTA's below is what I did.

1) Copied system/build.prop to SD Card via Astro File manager
2) connected via "turn on USB storage"
3) opened up build.prop (where you saved it to your SD Card) using notepad in windows
4) found
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys (may look like this or not)
5) change to: ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys
6) saved it
7) turned off USB Storage
8) Open a cmd window (in windows) in your /tools/ dir of your SDK
9) Type the following
9.1) adb remount (press enter. Should say "remount succeeded)
9.2) adb push build.prop /system/ (press enter. Should say success or something like that)
9.3) adb reboot (this will reboot your phone)

You must have the android-sdk_r06-windows (from google) loaded on your computer to do step 8 & 9.
If you have Root Explorer you can edit this file via your phone. I do not so teh above steps is what I did.

you can also see post: OTA Update Blocking
link with ADB information: how to adb and why you will love it

droidman101

Reaction score
Heh, this is why I use shadowrom:p. But anyways, sg brings back good memories...adamz has been gone forn a bit though :/