128 bit encryption, wi fi

khojem

Reaction score
Details?
You can't sync over wireless, but you can connect?
What errors are yielded?
What are the steps you attempt?
What model Linksys?

OP
S

Skrat982

Reaction score
khojem, thanks for reply.

Linksys WRT54G

You are, of course, correct I was not trying to sync, but rather set up so that I can connect. Droid finds my signal just fine, excellent strength, etc., and recognizes that it is WEP encrypted. Droid asks for " WEP Hex Key (0-9, A-F)" I pesumed that meant my 25 digit 128 bit encryption key and that is what I am entering. Droid responds "unable to connect to the network." I have also tried to use my router password and that doesn't work either. Don't really know what else to try. By the way, what I'm trying to do is the way I set up my laptop and my iPod touch. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

khojem

Reaction score
khojem, thanks for reply.

Linksys WRT54G

You are, of course, correct I was not trying to sync, but rather set up so that I can connect. Droid finds my signal just fine, excellent strength, etc., and recognizes that it is WEP encrypted. Droid asks for " WEP Hex Key (0-9, A-F)" I pesumed that meant my 25 digit 128 bit encryption key and that is what I am entering. Droid responds "unable to connect to the network." I have also tried to use my router password and that doesn't work either. Don't really know what else to try. By the way, what I'm trying to do is the way I set up my laptop and my iPod touch. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

I assume you correctly entered the key? I don't think capital letters for hex 'A-F' applies. I think I used lower case when I setup for my Linksys WRT300N.

Sounds like you took the correct steps. Maybe you have something setup in the advanced WiFi settings? Settings>WiFi Settings Select Menu> Advanced. Review the settings there.

Regulatory Domain defaults to 11
WiFi sleep policy defaults to 'When screen turns off'
You phone's MAC address is displayed

Under IP Settings:
Use static IP is unchecked
The remaining entries in list are shaded out

If that still fails... try the phone at a free WiFi spot and confirm the WiFi is functioning and eliminate a possible phone hardware problem.:lifting:

OP
S

Skrat982

Reaction score
Fortunately, wi-fi is not a requirement for me, never the less I would like to have it working at home. Droid does work fine on a free connection. For some reason it is a security issue with my router and since it is older the "hex" must mean something different than my current encryption code.

Thanks for your help!

khojem

Reaction score
Fortunately, wi-fi is not a requirement for me, never the less I would like to have it working at home. Droid does work fine on a free connection. For some reason it is a security issue with my router and since it is older the "hex" must mean something different than my current encryption code.

Thanks for your help!

But it suxs that you will default to Verizon's net when you have one available. One thing that came to my mind is the interface that LinkSys gives (if like mine) kinda suxs. When I use my browser and view the WEP 26 hex key using the routers default IP address of 192.168.1.1 all 26 hex characters aren't displayed. The box only shows like 20 characters. You might want to verify you are entering all 26 characters for 128-bit WEP security.

On another note... WEP is kinda old and not that secure. Your router supports stronger security methods. You might want to look into that security method rather than WEP.

:motdroidhoriz:

sjeslis

Reaction score
Transmit Key

I had a similar issue and was trying to use the passphrase in the Wi-Fi setup for Droid. In your router settings for WEP you probably have 1 - 4 of the keys selected for transmit.

For example mine was 1. I then entered the Hex characters for transmit key 1 into the Droid and I got connected.