10 Tips for your Dr0id!

thrty6

Reaction score
lol^
also regarding the copy and paste, one of the coolest features i figured out is that when your using the physical keyboard, you can hit the menu button (the one on the keypad) and it works as a ctrl type key. ie hitting menu and v will paste, c will copy and x will cut.
The only thing i have trouble with is accurately selecting text with the touch screen, anyone figure out an easy way to do that?

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Tip#1 is misleading or incorrect.
"1) Hold down the home button and a “quick launch” menu will appear. This will list your most recent 6 apps used so you can find your apps quicker."

Home by default is loaded with 6 apps when I got my Droid (Messaging, Market, Phone, Contacts, Browser, and Maps). I haven't noticed any change in that related to recent app use. Also, you can open drag up the apps tab and drag new apps to the Home. Home is huge and can hold numerous apps. Also, when you drag left or right you see extentions of Home to the left and right.

-- Control the Droid - Don't let the Droid control you! -- :icon_ banana:

Recheck your data on that...

I have many Apps that weren't on this phone by default...

Yet, they are showing up when I press and hold the home key...

Anyone else noticing this as well?

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
lol^
also regarding the copy and paste, one of the coolest features i figured out is that when your using the physical keyboard, you can hit the menu button (the one on the keypad) and it works as a ctrl type key. ie hitting menu and v will paste, c will copy and x will cut.
The only thing i have trouble with is accurately selecting text with the touch screen, anyone figure out an easy way to do that?

If in a text entry box, hold shift and use the d-pad to highlight text.

For web text, zoom in,hold shift and swipe over text. Don't worry about being super accurate w the copy as you can remove extra text after you paste :)

Also -

- Long press a link, and you can open in a new window.
- In browser options you can configure new windows to open behind current window.
- use dpad to get to tiny links (long press center of dpad for link options)

ociopia

Reaction score
Is there a "global" way to add 1 prior to phone numbers, rather than having to go back and edit everything?

Also - I can't get google calendar to load on my Droid. My contacts from gmail loaded but not my calendar. Help?

entcee

Reaction score
Tip #3

I do not have that problem. All my contacts are typed in as area code and phone number (no 1 before area code) and everything works as you would think. Calls go through and the GV number shows up on the recipients caller ID. :huh:

ociopia

Reaction score
I put 1 before a number of contacts. I put it in front of my own number. I put it here, I put it there, I didn't put it everywhere (okay, I'm sorry) but when I call people, my Verizon number is what shows. Not my google voice number. And I've decided to just let that go. I'm going to have to give up the Droid anyway as the navigation doesn't have avoid highways. Ugh.

Taina51

Reaction score
Here are 10 tips to help you work your new Motorola Droid

1) Hold down the home button and a “quick launch” menu will appear. This will list your most recent 6 apps used so you can find your apps quicker.

2) To mount the USB drive in Windows, pull down the notification menu, choose “USB Storage”, and then choose “Mount”. This allows you to place the SD card in your phone as a drive in your computer, making it easy to transfer files from your PC to your Motorola Droid and vice versa.

3) For GV, ensure that your contacts and pad dialing are set to the format 1(555)555-1234. If you omit the 1 or the area code on local calls, GV won’t work.

4) When using the onscreen touch keypad on your Motorola Droid, hid them by flicking them down from the top and simply tap the field again to get them to return.

5) Be careful when using a pouch holster for your new Motorola Droid. If it contains magnetics, it may turn your Motorola Droid on “car mode.” This will eat up your battery life quicker than you think.

6) To set an mp3 song as your ringtone, upload the song on to your Motorola Droid. While the song is playing choose “menu” then “set as ring tone.” Do this for every song you would like to use as a ringtone. Set different ringtones for your contacts by going in to your address book and selecting a ringtone from the list you created.

7) One of the best Motorola Droid tips includes the copy/paste function. Hold down on any text field, and the “edit text” menu will appear. Select “Copy and Paste” functions as needed.

8) Need a vibrator on your phone? Go to settings-sound display and check the phone vibrate box if your phone is toggling between complete silence and ringing.

9) Like a picture on your web browser? Save it to your Motorola Droid! Tap and hold the picture, and then select “save”

10) If you like a certain Web site, you can add a shortcut to that Web site to your Motorola Droid’s home screen. Bookmark the site, tap anywhere on the home screen and hold down. The menu that will guide you to adding a shortcut will pop up.

(Thank you MegC!)
Thank you for the tips. I had figuered out most of them but Tip #7 was something I wanted to do but thought it couldn't be done on the Droid. Now I'm using the cut/paste all the time. Thanks!

ArmyofJuan

Reaction score
If you create a media\audio\ringtones folder on the SD card and dump MP3s in there then they will show up as ringtones without having to add them one at a time

Reaction score
I usually type using the virtual keyboard and i noticed that if you press and hold the "period" key, it brings up a set of commonly used "shift" keys like comma, and semi colon, and parenthesis...etc...

awesome THANKS.

Thanks for all the tips actually!

entcee

Reaction score
If you create a media\audio\ringtones folder on the SD card and dump MP3s in there then they will show up as ringtones without having to add them one at a time

That is a great tip, thanks!

Last edited: