Help trimming a song as a ringtone

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Thank you for putting up those screen shots. On the next to the last screen shot, I do not get the "Trim the ringtone" line. It only shows the first two, Phone ringtone, Contact ringtone. Can't scroll to see it, it just ain't there.

cp24eva

Reaction score
interesting. have you done any app updates lately? Any deleting of file? Just throwing some things out there. also, what type of file are you trying to trim? not sure if this thing is limited to MP3 format, but that song I showed you was in MP3.

Did you try a different song?

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
No expert here. Didn't think one had to worry about file types. I've tried several songs with the same result; no Trim function.
I took a CD, Frank Sinatra's A Jolly Christmas Album, and ripped it to my computer using Windows Media Player. Then I looked at "The Christmas Waltz". The "Properties" on the file show it as a Windows Media Audio file (.wma). Then I copied the entire song to the Rezound by connecting the phone to the computer and dragging the file over according to the HTC instructions. The music (The Christmas Waltz) shows up and plays on the phone. I can set the entire song as a ringtone for either the phone or a contact, but it won't let me trim it. Does it have something to do with the file type? (.wma)?

cp24eva

Reaction score
I wouldn't think it mattered what file type it was. I was just asking to see if you could maybe try something else. But you said you tried it and it didn't work. Thats odd. You call a service rep up? An HTC rep?

P.S. I used to live in Silver Spring. I live in Herndon VA now.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
No expert here. Didn't think one had to worry about file types. I've tried several songs with the same result; no Trim function.
I took a CD, Frank Sinatra's A Jolly Christmas Album, and ripped it to my computer using Windows Media Player. Then I looked at "The Christmas Waltz". The "Properties" on the file show it as a Windows Media Audio file (.wma). Then I copied the entire song to the Rezound by connecting the phone to the computer and dragging the file over according to the HTC instructions. The music (The Christmas Waltz) shows up and plays on the phone. I can set the entire song as a ringtone for either the phone or a contact, but it won't let me trim it. Does it have something to do with the file type? (.wma)?

Go back and re-save it as an MP3 file and it should work. I've had similar problems working with wma type files.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
OK, guys and gals, thanks for all your help. Here was the issue: When ripping the CD to my computer, the format preselected was .wma. At jkaod's suggestion, I deleted the songs from my computer and phone, and then re-ripped the CD in the MP3 format. Then I copied the song file over to the phone, and in the "Now Playing mode", menu, more, set as ringtone, the Trim the ringtone option showed up. The trimmer was a bit tedious to use, but I got it set up.
Thanks again for all your help. Figured with enough input, we would find the answer.

Last edited:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Happy to help. I've found plenty of help here as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk