1 year review

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Though it has not been quite a year yet we are coming upon it; the samsung galaxy nexus a year ago had the buzz of both the note 2 and razr maxx hd combined. Finally fans would get a pure google device that they could root, rom, and get the latest and greatest software from the source (Google). Now it has been a year how do you feel about your nexus? Do you still have your nexus? What are your likes/dislikes? And are you buying a new device (or already had bought) this year.

For me the nexus allowed me to experience pure google and despite vzw dragging their feet with updates I still found myself enjoying the latest and greatest. I see the nexus as more of a play phone for roms and themes. I like how easy it is to root, room, and recover the device if necessary. I dislike the radio issues that have plagued this device. I feel that the weak radios add to the not so stellar battery life. Jellybean has fixed the lag from ics and made it an awesome device fluidity wise but users needing a reliable phone may find themselves not so pleased with the performance of the radios. I was going to buy the razr maxx hd because of the stronger radios and better battery life but decided to go with the note 2 instead.

Overall I feel the nexus makes an awesome device for rom junkies to have a phone to play with the latest and greatest software tweaks. But i would not recommend a person burning an upgrade to buy the device especially since you can either find it via ebay/craigslist, or swappa or you can get the same rom satisfaction with the nexus 7 at $199. If you are a person needing a reliable device especially for work and you do not care for rooting and roms I would direct you toward another device like the razr hd.

Want to hear what you think.

Last edited:

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Best phone i have ever had, Rooted, Rommed, Always the latest Android Version... and never had any radio issues... At day one this phone felt like the only worthy upgrade from the OG and still doe's...

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
hoping to pick up a Nexus for 49.99 from Verizon and upgrade from my D2. I will then sell my D2 and make up the money spent. I will never spend more than a 100 for a cell phone.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
hoping to pick up a Nexus for 49.99 from Verizon and upgrade from my D2. I will then sell my D2 and make up the money spent. I will never spend more than a 100 for a cell phone.

Are you on an unlimited data plan? If so, consider buying a Nexus somewhere else so you're not forced into a capped share everything plan by VZW. Just a suggestion...

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I didn't pick up my Nexus til April of this year...just about 4 months after it's release. I was looking forward to the release but at that time I was not yet eligible for an upgrade. I was considering the Nexus and the RAZR and in the end, the pure Android experience (with the newest version at the time) won out.

I'm certainly happy with it despite Verizon dragging their feet with the updates. I figure I'll wait a little while longer and then do updates myself as Verizon's support on it wears thin.

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
Are you on an unlimited data plan? If so, consider buying a Nexus somewhere else so you're not forced into a capped share everything plan by VZW. Just a suggestion...
I was and lost it as of today since i did end up getting the Galaxy Nexus but it was going to happen anyway besides I have 2 smartphones on my account and actually the shared data plan lowered my monthly payment. I cant complain it is what it is my work has wifi if i really need it. I didnt half to change my other lines data plan but next year when that lines contract is up I would of been over paying for a year of data charges when I could just change it now and save 10-15 dollar off my monthly until next year. DancingNexus I cant believe how awesome the Nexus is and its still in ICS..even when compared to the Bionic its close but GN is a sweet phone. If the GN came before the Bionic I would of choosen the GN for my other line than Bionic. GN is going to go sweet with my Xoom Tablet as well on Jelly Bean.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I was first in line to get the Nexus at my store. Immediately I was having problems with the signal. I was even dropping calls and missing calls. For the first few weeks I was having big problems and things were not working out.

However soon things got worked out which makes me think they did something with the network. One day all my other phones worked fine except my Nexus then before long the Nexus was fine.

I have not had the problems since and my Nexus is the best phone I've ever had. Of course I love to Rom so this phone can't be beat. I would never get a Motorola phone again unless they change their encryption policy or come out with a Nexus.

I am happy the issues got worked out and so far this is the best phone ever.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Anyone else's hands still glued to their Nexus like man? :p

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I got my GN on launch day and I have not had problems with mine. The OS and radio updates have only improved the device for me. I see me using it for quite a while or until another that interests me comes out that allows it's owner to make it "theirs". Since unlocking and installing roms and kernels, it is kept fresh and interesting. For me, the Galaxy Nexus was the "right" choice to succeed my OG Droid.

I agree with pc747 about battery issues with the stock configuration but if the owner is willing and able to rom, try kernels and learn the settings, battery can be very good. I also agree with his assessment that other users who want a stock device may want to look elsewhere. I use my phone at work (a few calls - varies), browse the internet, stream content, email and whatever else trips my trigger. In a normal day for me, I can easily get 12 -16 hours on the battery before I would charge and on very light days (like weekends), I have pushed it to 30 before charging. GSam battery monitor has helped me to see what is consuming battery and what needs adjusting. I am not making tons of calls or active with the rest of the apps a lot during the day (have to do some work for the paycheck) but on it frequently enough checking GMail, G+ and Twitter. I look forward to seeing what will come in later iterations of Android phones and there certainly is a "right" choice for users somewhere in the mix.

terpsmandan

Reaction score
My Verizon Nexus is at home waiting for me. I finally stopped drinking the Apple Kool Aid. Looking forward to learning how to root and install rom's and all that.