Signal Strength Question

shanimal92

Reaction score
I know there are some other threads, one with a lot of pages to it, i just dont feel like reading 20 pages to find my answer. My signal strength is horrid. I get hardly one bar when my OG gets four. i can hardly call people from my house... wtf. Is it possible this radio problem could get fixed by a software update? I absolutely LOVE this phone, and i dont want to have to buy the rezound or something. dont get me wrong, the rezound is good, but, c'mon, its no Nexus. Only thing it has on the nexus is the "better" screen. I am also rooted with Android Revolution HD 2.1.1, is anyone having this problem with the rom? hopefully i got lucky and got a good radio and its just the rom thats screwy.

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
That's my biggest concern about the Nexus right now. I've read that some people get better signal than their OG, but most are claims that the signal is much worse than OG. I'm in Honolulu and LTE has been here since the beginning of summer. I would expect that I wouldn't have issues with signal, but I'm holding off until I read more and get a chance to talk to someone who actually owns one here.

Jonas

Reaction score
Its a new phone, its gonna have quirks to be worked out. The phone was pushed out before it was ready, in my opinion. I hope that helps. I cannot confirm or deny a fix, but its economic suicide to put out a product and not fix it when it breaks.

Sent from my Banana Phone

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
Its a new phone, its gonna have quirks to be worked out. The phone was pushed out before it was ready, in my opinion. I hope that helps. I cannot confirm or deny a fix, but its economic suicide to put out a product and not fix it when it breaks.

Hopefully... What's a Banana Phone?

Jonas

Reaction score
Hopefully... What's a Banana Phone?

Its a Banana that also functions as a phone. So not only can I post on DF, I can get my daily potasium. Its a win win in my book.

I'm actually rocking a D2G, I just didn't feel like having the same signature as all the other guys posting on DF mobile app with a D2G.

Jonas

Reaction score
Because if he chose apple a patent lawsuit would ensue.

That made my night! But no, its because growing up, my little brother used to sing this song. It goes something like ring ring, banana phone! And it just kinda stuck. Anything to seperate me from the other drones on here I guess.

Much love to the DF community!

baldybill

Reaction score
But is the problem a software based problem or a hardware based one?
If hardware based, then it never will be truly fixed with software updates.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Nobody truly knows. The thing that has me thinking it's something deeper is the WiFi signal is also impacted. So this tells me its something to do with the radios in general (obviously)

A weak dBm says hardware to me. Instability is one thing. Weak reception is a whole other. I don't know.

flyinion

Reaction score

My guess would be that it is software based unless someone gets the random phone with some bad hardware. When something like this is big enough that this many people are having it, it seems like something software based unless there is a really bad engineering flaw in the hardware *cough*appleAntennaGate*cough*.

flyinion

Reaction score
Nobody truly knows. The thing that has me thinking it's something deeper is the WiFi signal is also impacted. So this tells me its something to do with the radios in general (obviously)

A weak dBm says hardware to me. Instability is one thing. Weak reception is a whole other. I don't know.

Yeah but maybe the software is just operating the hardware incorrectly and not correctly measuring the signal strength as well. It one of those things we'll probably never know for sure unless they either come out and tell us, or the dev community figures it out and tells us.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yeah but maybe the software is just operating the hardware incorrectly and not correctly measuring the signal strength as well. It one of those things we'll probably never know for sure unless they either come out and tell us, or the dev community figures it out and tells us.
I don't know enough about the tech behind it but the radios mW can be dialed down to preserve battery life. One of the side effects is poorer reception but the benefit is less heat and the obvious better battery life. So they must find the sweet spot between heat, battery life and reception. This MAY be the best that it gets.

It's that whole conundrum of fixing one thing and "breaking" another. I don't know if that mW can be adjusted via a software update. That is above my pay grade. Perhaps somebody knows that answer but I'm not certainly going to pretend I do :)

Something to think about is that Charge users complained about the same thing, poor reception, and thats still yet to be fixed.