1 month old Razr Maxx is dead?

theoak1

Reaction score
I had my Razr Maxx on a wall charger all night. When I woke up the phone appeared to be dead, even after holding the power button down.

I looked online and read about pressing the power and down volume buttons, however that didn't work either. The phone didn't respond al all, even after I tried different chargers. I only get the solid white light when I plug the phone into my computer using the USB cord.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Did you just press the volume down and power? If so, press and hold them for about 20 seconds.

You should use the supplied charger for the Max and a wall outlet.

Does your cable fit loose? My wife's cable started having a bad fit and it wouldn't charge unless it was messed with... and then if it was moved, it would cut out.

OP
T

theoak1

Reaction score
I held them down for 30 seconds. I also tried the power button and volume up button, but there was no response.

I tried several chargers, including the Motorola charger, however the phone still doesn't respond. (Is this a problem with the Razr, in that it can only use Motorola chargers?)

The only things I have observed are the constant white light when it is plugged into the computer, and a quick white light flash when I first plug it into a wall charger.

I was also reading how people are experiencing battery problems since upgrading to ICS, and now that I think about it, the battery life on my Razr Maxx decreased to about 8 hours since upgrading to ICS.

I have the phone charging on the Motorola charger, and if that doesn't work, I'm going down to the Verizon store later today for a new phone...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
theoak1 said:
I held them down for 30 seconds. I also tried the power button and volume up button, but there was no response.

I tried several chargers, including the Motorola charger, however the phone still doesn't respond. (Is this a problem with the Razr, in that it can only use Motorola chargers?)

The only things I have observed are the constant white light when it is plugged into the computer, and a quick white light flash when I first plug it into a wall charger.

I was also reading how people are experiencing battery problems since upgrading to ICS, and now that I think about it, the battery life on my Razr Maxx decreased to about 8 hours since upgrading to ICS.

I have the phone charging on the Motorola charger, and if that doesn't work, I'm going down to the Verizon store later today for a new phone...

Welcome to DF theoak1. It sounds like something may have super drained your phone. The constant white light means your phone is not charging. The quick white light then off means your phone is charging. The strongest charge (which is what you need right now) will come from using your stock charger in a wall outlet. Sometimes an auto quick charger is even better (depending on the car charger). The weakest charge is going to come via usb in your pc.

Keep it plugged into your wall outlet for a few hours without trying to turn it on. After a few hours, push the volume button and wait for the battery charging icon to appear. If it is at least 20%, then it is safe to turn your phone. If you don't get the icon then your phone may be too dead to accept a charge and needs to have a deep factory cable charge (called something like that. Possible that a Verizon store may be able to do that). Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
And if you get it up and running... or even if you have to get another device.. look into side loading 215.. you don't need to be rooted.. its easy. And its a lot better than 211 or stock ota ics.

But there's supposed to be a release for an ota soon... so you might hold off on that..

OP
T

theoak1

Reaction score
When it flashes, it does one quick flash when it is plugged in, and that's it. It's not a continous flash.

I had it on a wall charger all last night. When I woke up and it was dead, and now I have had it on the factory Motorola charger all day and it's still dead.

I tried to turn it on by holding the power button for 20 seconds, and I tried the "reset" by holding the power button and the volume down button for 20 seconds. When that didn't work I tried holding the power button and the volume button for 30 seconds...45 seconds...60 seconds...nothing. So now I have been without my phone all day.

It's frustrating because I specifically bought the Razr Maxx for it's supposed long battery life, and now it's dead after only 4 weeks (even though it was on a charger all night). I bought the Razr Maxx to replace a Blackberry Storm, which gave me 2 years of service without a problem.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is extremely frustrating. The one quick flash of white means it is charging. It should not be a steady white light or a flashing light. It almost seems like it is actually charging but for some reason it won't turn on. With it plugged into the charger, when you press the volume button once, does your battery icon come up?

Caesars

Reaction score
Also, when it started giving you issues, was it completely dead before that charge?

Googorola MAXX

OP
T

theoak1

Reaction score
Nothing happens at all when I press the volume button.

The phone was at about a 60% charge when I put it on the wall charger last night, when I woke up it was completely dead.

The only response I get from the phone is the quick 1/2 second flash when I first plug it into a wall charger, and the constant white light when I plug it into a computer.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It sounds like it is definitely the battery. For some very very bizarre reason, something excessively drained your phone while charging. I am only speculating here but, if it was charging from the PC, it's possible that some kind of interaction between the pc and phone caused the drain.

Your next two options is to see if you can get it to take a charge with a car charger. That has worked for some. If that doesn't work, the other option is to take it to a Verizon store or a radio shack and see if they can super charge it for you.

It will be covered under warranty so if you are still unsuccessful Verizon will send you another phone. In the meantime, we can continue to trouble shoot. Matter of fact, I would call Verizon right now to get the replacement sent asap. If we get yours going, the replacement can always be sent back.

OP
T

theoak1

Reaction score
I'm going to leave it on the wall charger overnight, and if that fails, take it to the Verizon store in the morning to see if they can supercharge it.

I'll let you know in the AM how it goes. I really appreciate your advice and assistance.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No problem. Thank you for being patient. I would be to the point where it wouldn't look too pretty if I were in your shoes. I am crossing my fingers for success.

OP
T

theoak1

Reaction score
Bad news. I tried charging it all night on the factory charger, but it still didn't respond. I just got back from the Verizon store, and they said my Razr Maxx is dead. They said there have been a lot of battery issues with the Razr Maxx, but very few have died like mine. It's going to take 5 days to receive my new Razr by mail, meanwhile my old reliable 3G Blackberry Storm has been called back into service for another week.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, I am sorry theoak. It would be interesting to know how this happens, whether it is a manufacturing defect, hardware-battery defect or software problem, if there are any warning signs to be aware of, etc. It seems so odd and definitely should not happen.

OP
T

theoak1

Reaction score
It was weird, because nothing happened to the phone like an accidental drop, water, etc. It was at 60% charge Saturday night when I put it on the factory charger, and somehow it died overnight. The rep at the Verizon store told me that it was very unusual for the phone not to respond at all, even after he plugged it into their charger at the store. Unfortunately with the new phones, I can't just swap out the battery like the Blackberry, so the whole phone has to be replaced. I'm hoping I'll be able to get all my music, Kindle books, downloads, and apps back. The Verison rep said I can restore my apps by logging into my gmail account when I get the new phone, but I get the feeling that all my other files that were on the phone (as opposed to the SD card) are gone.