1.1.1 seems buggy. I think I'm out.

undroid

Reaction score
i have two search widgets now. one that doesn't work called Search and one that works which is downloaded from the market called Google Search. how do i get rid of the older Search?

wingdo

Reaction score
i have two search widgets now. one that doesn't work called Search and one that works which is downloaded from the market called Google Search. how do i get rid of the older Search?

From a terminal window:

su
rmapk search

undroid

Reaction score

From a terminal window:

su
rmapk search

sorry i was rushing on posting the question.. i did that, removed all instances of search, did a pm uninstall com.google.android.voicesearch.

just for kicks tried your command.

# rmapk search
Removing application: Google Search
Removing file: /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk ... already removed

(Android 2.2 / Sapphire-1.1.1-Droid [FRG22D] by cvpcs)

i long press my screen and lo and behold, Search is still there.

wingdo

Reaction score

From a terminal window:

su
rmapk search

sorry i was rushing on posting the question.. i did that, removed all instances of search, did a pm uninstall com.google.android.voicesearch.

# rmapk search

The correct uninstall command if using pm is:
pm uninstall com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox

The one you used is to remove voice search which is an entirely different piece of software.

Both search and google search are installed on my system I suppose I can try to remove "search" from mine and see what's left.

undroid

Reaction score
From a terminal window:

su
rmapk search

# rmapk search

The one you used is to remove voice search which is an entirely different piece of software.

Both search and google search are installed on my system I suppose I can try to remove "search" from mine and see what's left.

i did that command as well. can't find where else this Search could be. even cleared the /data/dalvik-cache since i saw a couple of files there with Search in the name.

***EDIT***

i was using LauncherPro. Switched to the default Launcher, tried to add the Search widget and it is not there. cleared data on my launcherpro, still there... still trying to figure out launcherpro would have it in the widgets list but not Launcher.

Last edited:

JLangevin

Reaction score
to fix the search button run this in terminal emulator (credit Sniffle)
su
sysrw
mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
reboot (again, not sure you need to do this, but it's safe)
if that doesnt work which it didnt for me go into root manager to /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk edit>move.
then go to /system/app and paste. edit>rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk. reboot and done

THAT's the easy fix?

Considering you are dealing with custom roms, should ALREADY have ATE on your phone, and are complaining about entering in some script, have to say that you probably are better off running the stock rom in its natural state.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
uh you could also use root explorer to move the file ... I like commands as well as the next coder. :)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

# rmapk search

i did that command as well. can't find where else this Search could be. even cleared the /data/dalvik-cache since i saw a couple of files there with Search in the name.

***EDIT***

i was using LauncherPro. Switched to the default Launcher, tried to add the Search widget and it is not there. cleared data on my launcherpro, still there... still trying to figure out launcherpro would have it in the widgets list but not Launcher.

B/c the search widget is built into the launcher..

Sent from my Droid

nygrik

Reaction score
su
sysrw
mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
if that doesnt work which it didnt for me go into root manager to /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk edit>move.
then go to /system/app and paste. edit>rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk. reboot and done

THAT's the easy fix?

maybe i missed someone else answer...for me i deleted with titanium backup and then was able to reinstall it from the market...term emu looks harder than it is

Eschy

Reaction score
THAT's the easy fix?

maybe i missed someone else answer...for me i deleted with titanium backup and then was able to reinstall it from the market...term emu looks harder than it is

your search button wont work. That just made you able to install it. Now you have to move it from /data/app to /system/app and rename it, then reboot. Your search button will work

nygrik

Reaction score
no my search button works fine...sorry i think anyway...when i hardpress i can do the voice search...soft press i just saw did nothing i guess ill try the fix then

Last edited:
OP
B

Big D

Reaction score
su
sysrw
sysro

THAT's the easy fix?
The only way it could be easier is if I did it for you myself, if you don't know how to do this you shouldn't be flashing custom roms. This is pretty simple method and the only 1 i know of so far

Harsh. Been a while since I did any computer programming.

If you could bare with me, I'd appreciate it.

I only install this stuff through ROM Manager so the programming side for me is still lacking.

I'm not able to find that in ROM Manager. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction without the hostility?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Armyof2

Reaction score
THAT's the easy fix?
The only way it could be easier is if I did it for you myself, if you don't know how to do this you shouldn't be flashing custom roms. This is pretty simple method and the only 1 i know of so far

I only install this stuff through ROM Manager so the programming side for me is still lacking.

I'm not able to find that in ROM Manager. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction without the hostility?

Thanks.

Root explorer is a program off the market ($1.99 i believe) it makes things a bit easier when you're trying to move stuff around in the system folders as it's one button to turn off the read only and then it's just a matter of cutting and pasting...if you don't wanna pay for the app and wanna attempt the command line stuff the terminal emulator is under the "dev tools" in your app drawer.

Eschy

Reaction score
THAT's the easy fix?

Thanks.
i think i took what you said out of context sorry about that. Do you need help with something? Oh BTW root explorer not root manager. You can get root explorer free if im not mistaken over at xda if you have an account