Zune charger instead of Droid charger OK?

grimloktt

Reaction score
I bought an Ezestand that comes with a chord, and of course the stand, to use at work. I thought I'd just use the Zune plug-into the wall portion to plug the USB chord into and leave the Motorola for use at home. Before I did that, though, I compared the specs off the plug-ins and noticed the Zune's charger is different. Will it be OK to still use it?

Droid Charger:
- Input 100-240V~ 50/60Hz .2A
- Output 5.1V-->850mA

Zune Charger:
- Input 100-240V~ 1A 50/60Hz
- Output 5V-->1.5A

pyro6128

Reaction score
+1 Don't do it, otherwise youll be on here in the future complaining about things going wrong with your phone, and wondering what could possibly be the cause of it all.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, there's no way to say it nicely... Rant on ...

How in anyones mind, (considering that you actually looked at the chargers) that you would consider a increase in both output voltage and amperage from the one that came with your phone to be ok to try at all?

Yeah gang, I know it's basic electricity / electronics, but that seems to be the larger issue in this country lately ... Yeah, I'm already hard at work on a couple of servers that have lemming induced issues ...
argh ...

Rant off.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Too much amperage don't use it. Only use chargers that are only 10% plus or minus the values on the Droid charger. Too much current can damage your Droid too little and it wont charge it.

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Thnx for the feedback. I'll be heading to Verizon Wireless to see what I can dig up.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
How in anyones mind, (considering that you actually looked at the chargers) that you would consider a increase in both output voltage and amperage from the one that came with your phone to be ok to try at all?
Voltage is actually less (5<5.1) but negligible. My SPN5400A/P513 car charger outputs 950mA and I have no problems with it and my Droid. Quite a few use car chargers that supply 1A. I'm not saying that the 1.5A that the Zune charger outputs is safe but you don't need to exactly match the values either (though you do need to know what you're doing).

Only use chargers that are only 10% plus or minus the values on the Droid charger.
Considering that USB charging is 500mA and the stock wall charger puts out 850mA, I'm not sure that a 10% margin is the best rule of thumb.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I did miss that, what a day I'm havin ... Amperage is more important anyways.

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
That charger is actually just fine, in no way will it harm your Droid.

Current is not pushed, it is drawn.

The amperage rating on those chargers is not telling you how much current it will push into your device, it is telling you the max that it can supply. In all cases the Droid will draw what it needs, no more.

In fact, having a charger with a higher amperage rating will be safer, provided that the voltage is within spec. And any charger designed to be compliant with the USB standard will be.

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score

The amperage rating on those chargers is not telling you how much current it will push into your device, it is telling you the max that it can supply. In all cases the Droid will draw what it needs, no more.

In fact, having a charger with a higher amperage rating will be safer, provided that the voltage is within spec. And any charger designed to be compliant with the USB standard will be.

That sounded edumucated...and logical. I guess I'm OK with the Zune charger?

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6

That sounded edumucated...and logical. I guess I'm OK with the Zune charger?

Yes, in my professional opinion, you are.

However the standard caveats, as always, apply. :D

Bear in mind that Verizon, or whoever you have your service with, will no doubt use any info they can to void your warranty, so you might not want to mention it to them...

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score

Bear in mind that Verizon, or whoever you have your service with, will no doubt use any info they can to void your warranty, so you might not want to mention it to them...

Warranty? What's that? he he he I don't have any kind-of insurance plan. : O

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6

Warranty? What's that? he he he I don't have any kind-of insurance plan. : O

In that case you have no worries.

MrRChitty

Reaction score
Yes, I agree.... a charger with a specified amp rating is its capability to provide. Plug your phone into the USB and it can only provide 500 ma. Now, try to use your phone at the same time and it will barely charge or increase battery time. Plug it into the motorola charger @ 850 ma and there is current left over to power the phone and charge it faster than USB. Now I am on my second Droid. 1St was defective. Would constantly bootloop. Replacement hasn't bootlooped yet. Anyhow I noticed certain non motorola chargers cause the screen to become jumpy while plugged in and I slide my finger on the screen say for ex. sliding the menu or an internet page. My wife's moto droid stock does the same thing. Once unplugged the condition clears. At the Verizon store all of their Droid phones are plugged into an unknown type of power source and (motorola only) the screens are jumpy also, until you unplug them. I don't know what causes such a phenomena but I am willing to bet those are not motorola chargers on those display phones. Just my 2 cents. In this economy should be worth a few bucks.