YouTube HQ Default Mod...and are there others?

thumper300zx

Reaction score
I just followed the steps to default YouTube to HQ, but it didn't change the default. Got the YouTube.odex file onto the system/app folder, rebooted, no change. Also, one step said I needed to backup the old YouTube.odex file, but the only file I had was YouTube.apk in that folder. Any help appreciated.

Also, is there a mod that can be done for other sites, like NBC videos? The quality is pathetic !!!

BostonDroid

Reaction score
I just followed the steps to default YouTube to HQ, but it didn't change the default. Got the YouTube.odex file onto the system/app folder, rebooted, no change. Also, one step said I needed to backup the old YouTube.odex file, but the only file I had was YouTube.apk in that folder. Any help appreciated.

Also, is there a mod that can be done for other sites, like NBC videos? The quality is pathetic !!!

petes ESE53 comes with Youtube HQ default mod already installed... Have you tried that? It is better in every way than any other rom...

OP
T

thumper300zx

Reaction score

petes ESE53 comes with Youtube HQ default mod already installed... Have you tried that? It is better in every way than any other rom...

I've currently on Cyangenmod (just put it on today) because I like the 3D launcher, but I had Bugless and Ultimate Droid and liked both of those, too (Both with Helix launcher). If I can't figure out a few things on Cyan I'll be going back to one of those, even though I will miss the launcher.

Went back to Ultimate Droid. HD default back.

Would love to see someone figure out HD on NBC.com, too -- of course, FLASH would be nice :) HE HE.

Last edited:

djrakun

Reaction score

i prefer cyanogen too, and would still appreciate someone explaining how i can include this hack, rather than which rom I can try where it is already included.

Last edited:

jbg25

Reaction score
The easiest way is to find a copy of xeudoxus' xUltimate v1.2.4, and modify with that.

I dont have the app on this computer...but if you can find it once you get it running this is what you do...

option 1
option 2
option 15
option 3

Will probably crap out when you "hit any button to continue"...so close the window and relaunch

option 15
option 8 (I believe...again dont have in front of me..could be option 9...but it is clearly labeled

djrakun

Reaction score
thx for the advice, jbg25. I did try the xUltimate script but i didnt have any luck with it. The rom is already deoxed and i followed the instructions on the help webpage but the script kept dying. I did manage to get lucky and find a working apk though

just get the .apk from this link
*********** - online file sharing and storage - download YouTube.apk
and change
busybox cp -R YouTube.odex /system/app
to
busybox cp -R YouTube.apk /system/app
I tried this with a different apk and it caused youtube to crash continually. Make sure you use the one in the link above if you have any probs

jbg25

Reaction score
thx for the advice, jbg25. I did try the xUltimate script but i didnt have any luck with it. The rom is already deoxed and i followed the instructions on the help webpage but the script kept dying. I did manage to get lucky and find a working apk though

just get the .apk from this link
*********** - online file sharing and storage - download YouTube.apk
and change
busybox cp -R YouTube.odex /system/app
to
busybox cp -R YouTube.apk /system/app
I tried this with a different apk and it caused youtube to crash continually. Make sure you use the one in the link above if you have any probs

That is strange, before I stupidly deleted the folder it was in...I had no problem using it on any of the CM5.0.5.x versions.