Yet another issue (bug?) discovered and confirmed.

jjd228

Reaction score
BB user since the very first BB so I'm used to a device being able to handle email. The Android platform so far SUCKS for email. As usual they spent so much time making sure all the little kiddies were happy being able to take nice pictures, video, using this thing as a toy that they slacked on core functionality.

IMAP email accounts do not save sent messages on the device AND they aren't copied to the sent folder on the server. So the only option for email is POP (or of course gmail which I'm sure works just fine... typical). Can anyone running froyo confirm whether or not a sent message from an IMAP account is copied to the sent folder on the email server?

jazzmang

Reaction score
Firstly, if you're using Froyo, its a leak and not official. Some stuff is broken.

Furthermore, my IMAP account is showing my sent mail just fine...

OP
J

jjd228

Reaction score
Firstly, if you're using Froyo, its a leak and not official. Some stuff is broken.

Furthermore, my IMAP account is showing my sent mail just fine...

To clarify, I'm not running froyo. I was asking if someone else was, and if they can reproduce the behavior I'm seeing. So...

1) Are YOU running froyo?

2) Do you see your sent messages on the dx AND in the sent folder on the server? Don't just say yes and assume they're there. Log in via a web interface and check from a pc.

3) Are you using the stock messaging application?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm aware the post may not have been the most helpful to your situation, but please refrain from flaming other members.

Same goes for the post you're referring to. If you've got nothing productive to add folks, just move on to the next thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

timrock

Reaction score
not using froyo, i see my sent items on both the dx and online. using yahoo.

stacyadell

Reaction score
I use my DX for my work email via corporate sync (we use microsoft exchange at work) and just double checked the sent folder on my desktop and messgaes sent from my phone are indeed listed in the sent folder. I too came from blackberry and although they do not have the option to keep messages on the server if you delete them from your phone, one very cool added bonus I noticed is that it picks up my works global address book on the server which saves having to add the 500 plus poeple I work with to my phone's address book. They will autopopulate in the TO: field or you can view them in the Corporate Directory. It even lists their phone number and title.

If you are really unhappy with how android syncs exchange servers or really need your tasks synced I would recommend downloading the 30 day free trial of Touchdown and see how you like it. The full version is $19 dollars but if you like the interface and its vast (and I mean vast - checking out the free trial myself) capabilities it will be well worth the investment.

rfranken

Reaction score
try Seven
nice free program in beta.
only downside is you have to install a client on your pc. (non issue for me)

xliderider

Reaction score
BB user since the very first BB so I'm used to a device being able to handle email. The Android platform so far SUCKS for email. As usual they spent so much time making sure all the little kiddies were happy being able to take nice pictures, video, using this thing as a toy that they slacked on core functionality.

Wow, just wow. Coming here with an attitude like this, I'm surprised you got the constructive help you did. Shows how great the Android community is.

Perhaps you can learn to be a little more humble when asking people for help?

tobytl

Reaction score

IMAP email accounts do not save sent messages on the device AND they aren't copied to the sent folder on the server. So the only option for email is POP (or of course gmail which I'm sure works just fine... typical). Can anyone running froyo confirm whether or not a sent message from an IMAP account is copied to the sent folder on the email server?

Core functionality? Who still uses email? (/sarcasm) Sorry, had to. I can confirm that sent email does save on my imap server, and locally on the phone for me.

It could be something weird in your server's imap implementation interacting with the stock app. Try out k9mail, it's free and a much better/more extensible client anyway. And just to answer a common question from new K9 users, sent mail and draft folders won't appear until they are first needed (IE sent your first email, saved your first draft).