Xoom "usb tether" via Camera Kit possible?

Reaction score
Hi guys, been using my OG Droid to BT tether to my Xoom wifi, but I'm possibly going to upgrade soon, maybe Charge, TB, or Bionic.

I know I can root the new phone, and just tether the same way, but I don't want to root my new device just yet, maybe later, but not right away.

I'm wondering if the Camera Kit cable for the Xoom, since it acts as a usb host, can be usb tethered by the phone? (cause I want to use an unrooted tether app, ala pdanet, etc)

I've searched for some answers, and it seems like it trickle charges the phone, but not 100% sure if tethering works.

LMK if you guys have any ideas, or solutions :)

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Stock Xoom with OTG cable can charge phone. If you ROOT the Xoom and install the appropriate ROM and kernel you can use the phones data connection. And I think you would have to have a rooted phone to allow USB tethering. Unless the new phone comes with it.

OP
U
Reaction score
Stock Xoom with OTG cable can charge phone. If you ROOT the Xoom and install the appropriate ROM and kernel you can use the phones data connection. And I think you would have to have a rooted phone to allow USB tethering. Unless the new phone comes with it.

So the otg cable can only "charge" the phone? Nothing else?

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yup. Unless the Xoom is Rooted. If you are on 3.1 the otg can read cameras, keyboards and mice, and some other controllers. Rooted can see external drives fat32/ntfs via otg.

OP
U
Reaction score
Yup. Unless the Xoom is Rooted. If you are on 3.1 the otg can read cameras, keyboards and mice, and some other controllers. Rooted can see external drives fat32/ntfs via otg.

So even if I've updated to 3.1, phone "tethering" is still impossible without root?

Sadpandaface :(

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Via otg you are correct. You can still BT tether, wifi tether etc. Just get a phone you can BT tether to.

My DX BT tethers great. I don't think I will be upgrading because of that. And I have no money.

OP
U
Reaction score
Via otg you are correct. You can still BT tether, wifi tether etc. Just get a phone you can BT tether to.

My DX BT tethers great. I don't think I will be upgrading because of that. And I have no money.

My og droid can only bt tether, but its uber slow, and unreliable.....