Xiaomi Not Just Targeting Apple; Makes a Moto X Knockoff Too

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 21, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Xiaomi has made a massive name for themselves in China by creating affordable knock-offs of Apple-like smartphones. They make some of their own designs too, but it's their faux iPhones that garner the most attention.

The company doesn't just "ape" Apple's designs though. They've been known to copy a few of Samsung's aesthetics as well. Apparently, they are making that their "thing" because they just chose another manufacturer to mimic too. Check out the Xiaomi Mi 4, which looks suspiciously like the Moto X. As you can see from the image above, it isn't an exact replica, but it definitely borrows the back case look from the Moto X. When flipped around, and from the sides, it looks like an iPhone 5S. What an odd combination...

I guess Motorola should be flattered to join the club. Obviously the Chinese companies play by a different set of rules than the rest of the world. What do you think of Xiaomi's tactics?

Source: Is Xiaomi-Mania Reaching its Nadir in Malaysia Lowyat.NET

2. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Good for them! Pushes manufacturers to innovate something new to differentiate themselves from the rest.

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Not really seeing anything moto X here except the fact is wooden. Doesn't have the same curve to it. Just looks like a wood backed iPhone.

4. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    I don't know how I feel about the copying thing. I mean, a company puts R&D and money into producing a product, and then a Chinese company comes and reverse engineers a knock off.

Samsung did it with Apple, and now Xiaomi is doing it with Samsung.

What comes around, goes around.