Xbox 360 rrod

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
My old companion got the 3 Rings of Death the night before last. It was an original launch console. 5 years old. RIP good buddy.

Anyway took it and all the stuff from the first Costco bundle back to Costco yesterday and they refunded cash for the whole shootin' match.

Stopped by Gamestop on the way home and picked up a new Arcade bundle. Pretty cool, it's got the hdmi output. I've still got my 120g HDD so my gamertag and all my stuff is still there.

Made out like a bandit, got enough dough left over to buy my niece's Martin acoustic.

The customer service mgr at Costco was acting like she was doing me such a big favor.

she was :)

V

verian

I've heard that about costco! I've never been there but after that story I think I'll have to visit. No questions asked full refunds on electronics. Its actually a good idea if your the only company doing it you can probably make up the difference, in return visits, and customer loyalty. I went threw 4 360s before I switched to PS3. I want to get a 360 again to play with my old friends. Looks like you just tipped me in the right direction. Thanks.

littlerick

Reaction score
it was 5 years old and they still took it back? i'm guessing extended warranty right?

Samurai26

Reaction score
My old companion got the 3 Rings of Death the night before last. It was an original launch console. 5 years old. RIP good buddy.

Anyway took it and all the stuff from the first Costco bundle back to Costco yesterday and they refunded cash for the whole shootin' match.

Stopped by Gamestop on the way home and picked up a new Arcade bundle. Pretty cool, it's got the hdmi output. I've still got my 120g HDD so my gamertag and all my stuff is still there.

Made out like a bandit, got enough dough left over to buy my niece's Martin acoustic.

The customer service mgr at Costco was acting like she was doing me such a big favor.

she was :)

Soooo, you wanna buy me a Martin? lol

smokiedabong

Reaction score
When I bought my third Xbox360 , first thing I did was to cut a hole in one side and install a big a** fan , plus replace the stock coolers with the tornado fans , It's running like a dream .
2010-06-12191028.jpg

mackiv

Reaction score
theres a youtube video that shows you how to fix the RROD. it LITTERALLY cost like 10 bucks TOTAL to fix. i did it myself, i was amaaaazed....

brock

Reaction score
it isnt costco's policy anymore. too many people abused it. now electronics are only returnable before 90 days. i work there, lol. people return some crazy ****.

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
I have currently repaired 2 xbox's that had the rrod. It is not hard at all, a few rubber washers, a certain screwdriver (forgot the model it just left my mind) and some machine screws will do the trick. Look it up on google there is a .pdf that explains everything step by step :)

Brick

Skull One

Reaction score
The only issue with the RRoD fix is it is only a stop gap fix. The failure will still occur. It simply takes longer because you have changed the pressure points where the failure occurs.

For those that don't know the failure is due to the lead free solder used, the limited airflow and the fact that the DVD drive is over the GPU.

As the solder heats and cools, it cracks due to the X clamp pressure. The solder overheats because they used too low of a melting point solder. With air flow under the DVD drive being limited and the fact that the DVD also produced a lot of heat, it made for a perfect storm.

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
The only issue with the RRoD fix is it is only a stop gap fix. The failure will still occur. It simply takes longer because you have changed the pressure points where the failure occurs.

For those that don't know the failure is due to the lead free solder used, the limited airflow and the fact that the DVD drive is over the GPU.

As the solder heats and cools, it cracks due to the X clamp pressure. The solder overheats because they used too low of a melting point solder. With air flow under the DVD drive being limited and the fact that the DVD also produced a lot of heat, it made for a perfect storm.

Exactly, plus the fact the damn thing is in a huge metal box with only one air vent doesn't help much either :p . Yeah I was able to fix the two of them with no problems, one did break after about another year or so though, random rrod...... Custom case modification, cutting a hole and placing a big a** fan is also a good way to disperse the heat, but that won't necessarily take the pressure off of the x clamps....

Brick

Rouge

Reaction score
4th one i hope this one doesn't get it. :)

Last edited:
OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
it isnt costco's policy anymore. too many people abused it. now electronics are only returnable before 90 days. i work there, lol. people return some crazy ****.
I'm glad the service manager at the costco in matthews north carolina didnt know that! 515 back for the original bundle and now i'm the owner of a quieter 360 with an HDMI out AND a new Martin guitar. :)

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok, i have officially joined the RROD club today (console is 4 yrs old).

the towel trick got it back up and running, but for how long? oh well. it was a good run my friend