WTF, droid started randomly (repeatedly) rebooting

Big Ry

Reaction score
I have been rooted on UD10 for a few weeks running a 1GHz kernel with SetCPU at 1000/400. About 3 days ago I switched to BBv1.0 with 1GHz 7 LV kernel with SetCPU the same. It was workig just fine untill last night.

I was laying in bed and went to go to Google Earth (which Ive never even used). It FCed multiple times, so I uninstalled and reDLed. I then rebooted and it started a sequence of continuous boots. After 10 or so unsuccessful attempts at loading the OS, I decided to boot into CW. I formatted system/data/cache/boot/etc 2x each. Then I wiped the cache twice and wipred/reset the device twice. I then reloaded BBv1.0, the patch, and the kernel.

I got it booted and was in the middle of setting my alarm clock and it rebooted itself again, WTF!? So next time I got it on, I dropped SetCPU to 750/250 and it remained on the rest of the night while I slept (I'm assuming at least lol).

Just now, I went to download an app from the market and the damn thing started its inifinite boot loop again! Whats going on here! :confused::icon_ cry:

rickt1152

Reaction score
Welcome to frustrating world of boot loops. I've had it happen a few times with different combinations of Rom, Kernels and OC speeds. I even had it start after about three weeks of working perfectly (no system changes). You'll see some threads about the voltage sensitivity of certain processors and that this is why some combinations work fine on one Droid and not on another. I would return to the last combination that worked well for you and then change either the Rom or the kernel but not both at the same time. If the Rom seems stable on your phone, then you can try the various kernels (and speeds). Also, I thing you have to give it more then a day or so to see as I have had what seemed like stable combinations that go south after running for a while, at which time you don't know what caused it.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Welcome to frustrating world of boot loops. I've had it happen a few times with different combinations of Rom, Kernels and OC speeds. I even had it start after about three weeks of working perfectly (no system changes). You'll see some threads about the voltage sensitivity of certain processors and that this is why some combinations work fine on one Droid and not on another. I would return to the last combination that worked well for you and then change either the Rom or the kernel but not both at the same time. If the Rom seems stable on your phone, then you can try the various kernels (and speeds). Also, I thing you have to give it more then a day or so to see as I have had what seemed like stable combinations that go south after running for a while, at which time you don't know what caused it.
It just seems odd that it could work fine for a few days...

So if I try a different kernel, how do I choose? BB has like 7-8 recommended kernels. I dont really know how the 5/7 or HV/LV etc affect the performance/service life though. I just want a safe stable kernel thatll keep up with my demands.

rickt1152

Reaction score

So if I try a different kernel, how do I choose? BB has like 7-8 recommended kernels. I dont really know how the 5/7 or HV/LV etc affect the performance/service life though. I just want a safe stable kernel thatll keep up with my demands.

Two thoughts, first I would recommend seeing what other users seem to have good luck with over on the BB Rom sub-forum, but as I said before, this is a true YMMV and what works for 95% of the users may boot loop your phone. I went back to Pete's Stock 2.1 w/root rom and it is rock stable at stock speed. It is also seems very stable (for me) OC at either 800 or 1000 using one of P3 Droids kernels. Limited to three screens and not as custom but it works when I need it to. I settled on the 800 kernel as I have no lag issues, temp. stay down and is very stable. I need/want the root for wifi tether, and some other applications I like to use.

As far as the odd issue of it working fine for a few days and then starting the boot loop, I've heard several other's experiencing the same thing. My original Droid just didn't like being OC'd and would boot loop if pushed at all on at least five different Roms. I believe it just had one of the processors that was highly sensitive to the voltage differences, hopefully, yours just doesn't like the particular combination you were running and is not one like my first.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

Two thoughts, first I would recommend seeing what other users seem to have good luck with over on the BB Rom sub-forum, but as I said before, this is a true YMMV and what works for 95% of the users may boot loop your phone. I went back to Pete's Stock 2.1 w/root rom and it is rock stable at stock speed. It is also seems very stable (for me) OC at either 800 or 1000 using one of P3 Droids kernels. Limited to three screens and not as custom but it works when I need it to. I settled on the 800 kernel as I have no lag issues, temp. stay down and is very stable. I need/want the root for wifi tether, and some other applications I like to use.

As far as the odd issue of it working fine for a few days and then starting the boot loop, I've heard several other's experiencing the same thing. My original Droid just didn't like being OC'd and would boot loop if pushed at all on at least five different Roms. I believe it just had one of the processors that was highly sensitive to the voltage differences, hopefully, yours just doesn't like the particular combination you were running and is not one like my first.
ok, well i guess ill see if anyone recommends a kernel over there. thanx

s-one

Reaction score
No its not just you. I was on Cyan .7 and 5.0.6.2 and never had a reboot. Since I've been running BB1.0 I have had about 5 - 10 reboots now. BB1.0 is much faster than Cyan but as of right now it comes at a price as BB1.0 isn't as stable. The reboots don't bother me as much as the lag and heat I got with Cyan.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's really personal. I've been running BB1.0 with Bekit 1.1 LV since it was released, and it's been the definition of stable. Just goes to show you how different devices take to being hacked.

Womp

Reaction score
I had random reboots using LV kernels so I am using the stock 600 SV one and so far so good....until the phone decided to freeze while typing a message in GTalk, then rebooted itself.

It has done it twice last week, both while typing and sending a message in GTalk. I removed the HTC keyboard and ever since things have been running fine.

Been a few days now so we shall see.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk