Worst phone ever

OP
R

roryt

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, but my issues are not isolated to me. Go do a search on the issues I have posted here and you will see that plenty of Droid users are having the same issues. This isn't just me trying to convice myself to get an iPhone. I'm not a huge Apple fan. If I wanted an iPhone, I would have waited a couple of extra months knowing Verizon was rolling it out on their network. But, when I see the wide spread nature of the same or similar issues to what I am having, it is not a big leap to conclude this is more than just a bad phone issue.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, but my issues are not isolated to me. Go do a search on the issues I have posted here and you will see that plenty of Droid users are having the same issues. This isn't just me trying to convice myself to get an iPhone. I'm not a huge Apple fan. If I wanted an iPhone, I would have waited a couple of extra months knowing Verizon was rolling it out on their network. But, when I see the wide spread nature of the same or similar issues to what I am having, it is not a big leap to conclude this is more than just a bad phone issue.

I'm not saying that your trying to convince yourself that you want an iphone, but i do say that you most likely have a faulty device. It may have been a faulty batch of 3g radios, who knows. But i know a few people that have gotten them recently, and they had not had any problems with them at all, not saying that you don't. I would however call verizon and talk to them about it. It should be a pretty easy determination that it's not working correctly and that they should fix it.

Reaction score
OP, it seems to me that reception issues are indeed a genuine complaint, however to label the X as the worst phone in the world is just bashing. Clearly you've never experienced a Blackberry Storm.

Take it back get another one or hopefully you have the 30 days to decide if you want to keep it. If not you have 14, in any case you have a clear opportunity to decide if it's right for you. Droid isn't for everyone. I hope you can take it back and get something else.

Tha Blackberry Storm definitely gets my vote for worst phone ever. As far as my X goes, it trumps my Blackberry Curve, too - but not as much as it does that Storm. I look back on my days as a Storm owner and make fun of myself for owning that thing. SMH.

eewny

Reaction score
My vote is for the att tilt.

Htc supposedly refused to support it with drivers. I wont go back to htc because of my tilt.

http://www.htcclassaction.org/

Of course this was back before smartphones were as popular as they are now.

Now that I have a droid the tilt is just a paper weight on my desk

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I just purchased a D2G, after using a Droid for the last year.

I would put money on it being a faulty device. Verizon probably has the best network in the country, and I have no connection problems whatsoever. I do understand how frustrating the connection problems can be. I would definitely look into exchanging your unit.

eewny

Reaction score
I dunno that's happened to me before when people were talking about how to format videos for android. I had a post about dvdcatalyst being what I use and then the post dissappeared. I thought it was because he was trying to promote a different product and I was explaining how good the competitor was

Why yours got closed I don't know

*edit looks like the posts are still there

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

holmes6

Reaction score
Yeah I suggested that the user was complaining about gmail signup process and connectivity issues. If you get an iphone you need itunes, which is a painful signup process vs. gmail.. advantage droid imo
connectivity problem hard to diagnose, but not a widespread problem with droidx/vzw

I did suggest OP may be trolling, but IMO that is a fair point to make given the thread title and content

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
Yeah I think this is an issue with this individual phone. Definitely not the Droid X as a whole. Saying the Droid X is the "worst phone ever" and a "lightweight smartphone" is extremely laughable.

sent from my Liberty infused Droid 2

AngryHatter

Reaction score
After years of dealing with the limits of Blackberries, I finally broke down and bought a Droid X. At first, I thought it was great, but that only lasted until I actually started using it for work. I have to say that this is the worst smart phone I have ever had (I've had them for about 10 years). Most have been BB's, but I did own a Palm once.

The Droid is just not business friendly. First of all, you are forced to open a Gmail account in order to sync your calendar and contacts. I really loved having to do that. Half the time I can't get a data connection so I can't access the internet or send emails even though I have full bars. And, very often emails I am trying to send just get stuck in the outbox. Previously, I could reboot and then they would send. But, that doesn't even work now. Your ability to search emails is extremely limited. You can't sort emails (at least that I've been able to find).

For a $600 device, it is nothing more than a light-weight smart phone.

I was looking to roll out a standard smart phone and tablet to my entire sales team. Based on my experience with my Droid X, I am now probably going to go with iPhones and iPads.
The stock mail app is not the best - Maildroid - it's good for what ails you.

Since it's a Google phone, it is tied to Google, gee, what a shock. Like an iPhone being tied to Apple. The benefit is once you get into using what Google has to offer, you find you don't need much else.

Are you trying to use WiFi? Or straight 3G?

Good luck opening all those iTune accounts!

lockman

Reaction score
What I find interesting is that this person has had BBs' and a Pre over the last decade and never has had a bad phone. I actually think it has to do with the mentality of long-term BB users. I'm not bashing, as I also use a BB.

Here's an example. My friend, Chad, had a Storm. Finally convinced him to jump to D1. Constant complaints. Rooted, ROM'd it for him. Still not happy. Refused to accept fact Advanced Task Killer was screwing with his phone. He finally got so fed up with his perceived problems with the D1, he jumped ship to an Evo. Showed it to me yesterday, ATK on his home screen.

My point is, people get so set in their ways, they don't or can't change their ways.

OP, in all likelihood, has a bad phone. If a BB gets a signal, but an X doesn't, it just seems logical to me. Get your phone replaced, try a couple productivity apps, and give android a fair shot. I don't think you'll be sorry.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think this is an issue with this individual phone. Definitely not the Droid X as a whole. Saying the Droid X is the "worst phone ever" and a "lightweight smartphone" is extremely laughable.

sent from my Liberty infused Droid 2

Would the Droid Pro be a better choice? Just curious.

As for me and reception, ever since I went to a chocolate bar (starting with the Voyager) reception went down in my house. I added a Network Extender to take care of that.

sfam198

Reaction score
Based on what? At least support your assertion with some details on why you think this is the case.

My Droid works perfectly well with Exchange and ActiveSync is preferable, IMO, to a BB with BES. That said, the Droid lacks the built-in management tools that come with BES. However, be careful parroting information like that.

Sorry, I guess I should have added "in my opinion" there. That's all I'm basing it on, no real facts.

Sure there are some apps and features of Android and iOS that can be used for business. They both can be synced with Exchange just fine. However, my company doesn't use Exchange. We are using Lotus Notes for email. So far, there is no decent solution that I know of for syncing with my Droid.

They also (Android and iOS) are specifically not approved for use by my company's data security department because of the lack of security features. I work in IT for a bank and there is some extremely sensitive information stored on my work Blackberry. It is password protected and automatically gets wiped if you enter the wrong password 5 times. It also encrypts the MicroSD card so a thief can't just pop it in his computer and copy all my files. As far as I know with my Droid (not sure about iOS here), someone who steals my phone can just keep guessing the unlock pattern all day long until they get it and there is no way to encrypt the MicroSD card. The security features of the Blackberry OS are unmatched, especially when attached to a BES.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not knocking Android or iOS. I love my Droid and it's probably the best phone I've ever had for personal use. But in my opinion anyone who is using an Android device or iPhone for serious, enterprise business use is just kidding themselves.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
They also (Android and iOS) are specifically not approved for use by my company's data security department because of the lack of security features. I work in IT for a bank and there is some extremely sensitive information stored on my work Blackberry. It is password protected and automatically gets wiped if you enter the wrong password 5 times. It also encrypts the MicroSD card so a thief can't just pop it in his computer and copy all my files. As far as I know with my Droid (not sure about iOS here), someone who steals my phone can just keep guessing the unlock pattern all day long until they get it and there is no way to encrypt the MicroSD card. The security features of the Blackberry OS are unmatched, especially when attached to a BES.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not knocking Android or iOS. I love my Droid and it's probably the best phone I've ever had for personal use. But in my opinion anyone who is using an Android device or iPhone for serious, enterprise business use is just kidding themselves.

Like the people in your IT department (and mine, and most IT departments) you need to educate yourself about Android (particularly the security.) Even the native Exchange client supports (and will FORCE) whatever security protocols the server calls for including a set number of tries before a lock-down and/or wipe. It also (though just recently) supports encrypting of data. Android devices are just as secure as most Crackberries (yes there are a few Crackberries that are incredibly secure but only a few of them). In addition if IT wanted added security there are 3rd party Exchange apps that add even extra security (Touchdown being probably one of the best). The new(er) Droids (particularly the DroidPro) have additional server/security features built in to allow IT departments to monitor/control the devices just like the upper-end Crackberries.