wireless tethering question on rooted D2

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
ok, I did the zr4 root thing yesterday and I'm rooted. Mainly, I wanted to be able to do screen shots and for wireless tethering.

Screenshots work fine.

wireless tethering, not so much.

I have Barnacle and I have wifi tether, and neither work for me. Upon searching and searching over the past 2 days, I realize I'm needing something else on a kernel or rom side but I can't figure out what I need, where to get it, or how to install it once I find what I need. Everytime I search, I find links to other links, to 3rd links which simply take me to a site to download the actual wifi-app that I already have and nothing is ever explained.

I'm not interested in major reworking of my device (overclocking, quadrant this or that... etc), I know I'm not ready for all that just yet, I just want wireless tether to work.

My computer (and even my wii) can 'see' wifi-tether.... I just can't get internet on my computer despite having good signal and recognizing it.

Just a quick tutorial, make it work, sort of thing.

Thanks

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
That's weird.......I'm running a rooted D2 stock ROM and both apps work fine for me. I don't think you need anything but root to get them to work.

Have you tweeked any of the settings to the apps?

Sent from Droid2

OP
M

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
no I haven't.... not sure what I would need to change. Wired tether still works fine, but I haven't messed with anything else.

chris215

Reaction score
I had a simliar problem too until I disabled the access control within the settings of wireless tether.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Only time Barnacle gave me a hard time I fixed it by uninstalling, rebooting and the reinstalling the app.

Sent from Droid2

chris215

Reaction score
I too was on the quest for the missing "kernal" for awhile. Until, as I said, disabled the access setting. It has worked fine since.

OP
M

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I had a simliar problem too until I disabled the access control within the settings of wireless tether.

well, my access-control was checked off. I unchecked it and will try when I get home.

The only other thing I see is the Change LAN settings...

mine is set for the 2nd one down. Will that make a difference. There are about 10 of them, and I would hate to have to set up, retry, 10 times.

chris215

Reaction score
I left LAN alone, just ensure your channels are the same on wireless & pc. I went with channel 11

Gibbsinator

Reaction score
I've had similar issues

Stock/older roms:
Rooted
Barnacle and others worked

Then I bricked my phone.

Post fix and manual update to 2.3.2 (deodex):
Rooted
Barnacle and wifi tether are frustrating to work
Battery manager force close
Super User WAS repeatedly asking me the SAME question.

OP
M

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
well, I got my wireless working.... I uninstalled and reinstalled. Seemed fine.. IDK but I'm not complaining