Wireless tether for rooted droid 2

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
I have a rooted droid 2,(android version 2.2). I want to install wireless tether and see how it works. I dont have unlimited data plan, but just want to see how it works and have the satisfaction that I rooted the droid and also can run wireless tether, if needed. I have searched all over for wireless tether for root users, but no luck. I did see it in market (online), and signed in with my account, and even though my phone showed up under the attached devices, but it was greyed out, so I could not send it to the phone.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work, or where to d/l the file.

TIA.

OP
N

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Thanks will try it later. Any instructions on how to set up wifi tether?

Should I try Barnacle tether or one posted in this thread is good enough?

I am on prepaid plan, thus limited data plan...:)

http://db.tt/QJxwUfu
There yah go. How do you not have unlimited data? I thought all data plans are unlimited.

louy99

Reaction score
Just be sure you have "unknown source" checked under settings/applications. When you install it all you do is touch the wifi icon.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
N

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Thanks, will try it later today, and see how it goes.

Just be sure you have "unknown source" checked under settings/applications. When you install it all you do is touch the wifi icon.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
N

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Ok, the install went fine, and I can see the app on my phone. Once I hit the green icon to tether, it starts, and then shows that is tethering now (showing upload and download), and my computer can see the phone (Android Tether). But I cant surf the net, page not found message pops up (address is correct, it is just that the computer even though it shows as connected to Android Tether, is not connected). I have tried opening multiple webpages saved as favorites.

One thing I noticed is that access control option is greyed out and I cant enable it. When I was in tethering mode, the phone showed a security shield like thing saying that access control is disabled. Could this be the problem?

BTW, I am trying to tether on Mac, didn't change any settings, except the wireless network.