Wiping clears /sdcard directory?

mach330

Reaction score
since this phone doesn't have an SD card, but there is a folder called /sdcard. I store all my roms there. But if you wipe to install a new rom, does that directory also get wiped? Or does it treat /sdcard as if it was an external sd card. I just want to know before i wipe.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
If you wipe from the system, settings>security>wipe it'll wipe everything. If you wipe from ClokworkMod bootloader it'll keep the sdcard folder intact .

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I imagine that folder is actually a mounted partition, wiping *shouldn't* wipe the sdcard partition unless designed to do so.

9wire

Reaction score
I can see a folder labeled "SD" when looking at them on the PC but can't see it on the phone with astro. Want to make sure I have my pics and music protected.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
mach330

mach330

Reaction score
If you wipe from the system, settings>security>wipe it'll wipe everything. If you wipe from ClokworkMod bootloader it'll keep the sdcard folder intact .

that's good. i always wipe from clockwork mod. I saw the partition portion on rom manager so I wasn't sure if it was already done or if I had to do it from there.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Also unlocking the device will wipe all your data, so if you have pictures and things on your phone and plan to unlock the device make a backup cause you'll lose everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Smoke got it right. If you do a Factory Date Reset from the settings menu on the phone, it will wipe everything - including your sdcard!! If you do the same from Clockwork Recovery your sdcard will be safe.

chemist109

Reaction score
I imagine that folder is actually a mounted partition, wiping *shouldn't* wipe the sdcard partition unless designed to do so.

The GNex storage is all one big partition. That's why you can't mount /sdcard as removable storage anymore. They did this to prevent the situation of X gigabytes of free space available for applications while you're completely out of space for data. This also means that they don't have to unmount a partition and possibly prevent some apps from working while you're transferring files. It's explained very well in this Reddit thread by Google engineer Dan Morril:

Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage? : Android

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The GNex storage is all one big partition. That's why you can't mount /sdcard as removable storage anymore. They did this to prevent the situation of X gigabytes of free space available for applications while you're completely out of space for data. This also means that they don't have to unmount a partition and possibly prevent some apps from working while you're transferring files. It's explained very well in this Reddit thread by Google engineer Dan Morril:

Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage? : Android

Seems separate partitions work fine in my opinion.

You don't have to unmount storage to enable mass storage, check the application dual mount SD widget for an example.

Last edited:

melfunn

Reaction score
Wow. To me the possibility of wiping data through previous accepted android actions is crazy.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums