Wifi hotspot

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! Haha!
Anyone with a brain would agree! If you think about it, there are TONS of users out there like me (and growing every day) that rarely use their smartphone for voice (aside from SMS)! 99% of my usage is on DroidForums or links it provides and music. So I'm extremely thankful we didn't follow AT&T on the smartphone data cap! 2GB a month?? Yeah, I'd be screwed!!!

I love you DD.

Lol seriously though, im glad my view is shared, especially in the company im currently (and happily I might add) giving my money too. It's very heartening to hear that vzw takes my concerns about network usage seriously. I hope they continue to improve the network so one day unlimited (real unlimited) bandwidth is not only possible but easy and affordable.

DroidForums junkie!!

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got home from the verizon store, and i just retired my old droid, and got the Droidx :)

I noticed it had a mobile hotspot feature, and i was like, oh sweet.

So i used it, connected my computer to it, and loaded up google. pretty fast.

Then i realized, oh crap, isnt there supposed to be an extra fee for this?

so... is there? it didnt stop me, so... idk, i would love to use the mobile hotspot feature, but i dont wanna make our bill ten thousand dollars (me and my roommates used up 1.1tb bandwidth in the last month D: )

So is there a flat fee for usage, or is it by how much i use it, and what are the prices?

Wow! I haven't clicked on Wi-Fi hot spot since I first booted my phone. Indeed the "You will be charged" prompt is now gone!

It says: "3G Mobile Provisioning is requied. Please contact your carrier."

This is a new message. I wonder if this is a new message after the latest update?

Seems shady to not say: You will be charged $20 bucks if you press yes.

--------------------------------------
So tell me Future Boy, who's President of The United States in 1985?

tareq

Reaction score
That's right is it 20$ for 2GB.

But if you plan on using it a lot, you may look into rooting your phone. From there on out you can use WiFi Tether from the Market and tether for free. :)

That's what I was using for my Xbox and my uncle's laptop when he didn't have internet and I'm still seeing no change in bill even when I use over 5GB.

The funny thing is I wonder how many people that work for Verizon (not store reps, but actual corporate suits) read these kinds of posts...

I know it's probably almost impossible to restrict tethering in a way that would differentiate between a valid paying user and a non-paying user. However, you can bet your caboose that they are working day and night to find a way.

And, in the end, whatever the result is we will have those that chose to steal bandwidth like yourself to thank for it.

I really dislike this attitude of "just because I can, I will". Bandwidth is not free. If you say that it doesn't hurt anyone, you are lying to yourself. If it were free, they wouldn't have these plans in the first place. We would all have EVO 4G's and bandwidth, for life, free.

I think it's cute that you feel sorry for corporations that they are making millions every month! $20 for 2GB is TOO MUCH! they have plans for it cos they want our money, that's it, it's this simple. corporations don't give a crab about us man. Just my opinion. Why I tether? cos I CAN! DROID DOES!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Honestly there really isn't a way that I know of (unless VZW has the ability to pull how much data was sent over a given time) to tell whether or not you were tethering.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What makes you think they can't? Verizon isn't stupid. They are completely aware of how difficult it is to use 10+ GB of data WITHOUT tethering. I do agree that $20 for 2GB is high though.

Honestly there really isn't a way that I know of (unless VZW has the ability to pull how much data was sent over a given time) to tell whether or not you were tethering.

DroidForums junkie!!

tareq

Reaction score
I bet it's not hard for them to find out how much data you have being using, the question is: How much data you can use before they: wooooooooo you have used 4GB in one day!!! wth you are doing?

yes I did use a bit under 4GB today, I was tethering for two laptops and after like 6 hours I check my phone about 3.7GB!!! I am very worried now and if anyone if verzion will do something about? espically there is 700MP torrent!! Oops!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
What makes you think they can't? Verizon isn't stupid. They are completely aware of how difficult it is to use 10+ GB of data WITHOUT tethering. I do agree that $20 for 2GB is high though.

DroidForums junkie!!

I know they can see how much was used per day and even per month, but can they really break it down to per minute use? I have come close to 2gb without even tethering using my browser, GPS, checking emails, and pandora while out and about, and with apps that access your data becoming more readily available its just going to be harder to monitor.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We can! I do it everyday! ;)
I used 4GB last month without tethering and 6GB is my highest with tethering. Some have used more than that in a day!

DroidForums junkie!!

I know they can see how much was used per day and even per month, but can they really break it down to per minute use? I have come close to 2gb without even tethering using my browser, GPS, checking emails, and pandora while out and about, and with apps that access your data becoming more readily available its just going to be harder to monitor.

DroidForums junkie!!

luigi90210

Reaction score
there is a patch to use the 3g mobile hotspot app made by team black hat, i use it and i love it. plus its not an ad-hoc network its an infrastructure network so its like a router almost.

Rocko

Reaction score
That's right is it 20$ for 2GB.

But if you plan on using it a lot, you may look into rooting your phone. From there on out you can use WiFi Tether from the Market and tether for free. :)

That's what I was using for my Xbox and my uncle's laptop when he didn't have internet and I'm still seeing no change in bill even when I use over 5GB.

The funny thing is I wonder how many people that work for Verizon (not store reps, but actual corporate suits) read these kinds of posts...

Enough. That is why they send out updates to mess with rooters. 95% of people don't root there phones though.

tareq

Reaction score
I used 4GB last month without tethering and 6GB is my highest with tethering. Some have used more than that in a day!

DroidForums junkie!!

DroidForums junkie!!

What do you think is the limit for data usage? I am visiting my wife's dad and he have no net so I am tethring all the time, around 6GB a day! is that okay or should I be worried? most of the tether is browsing/netflix and sometimes torrent. any advice?

Dustin.

Reaction score

DroidForums junkie!!

What do you think is the limit for data usage? I am visiting my wife's dad and he have no net so I am tethring all the time, around 6GB a day! is that okay or should I be worried? most of the tether is browsing/netflix and sometimes torrent. any advice?

With an outstanding amount of data used over that period of time, I highly doubt you could acquire that much usage per day from a phone ALONE and keep it consistent daily.. Big Red has people who just sit there and watch these things, so I'm not totally 100% sure, but from what I've seen and personally been through, you SHOULD be fine. Seems to me that your situation would be a 50/50 chance.

SJsRazr

Reaction score
Is there an app (besides the one that came on my verizon phone that they want to charge me to use) that would allow me to use my s3's wifi for my ipad? I have unlimited data and only want to use it as a hotspot for about a week.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
FoxFi, doesn't require root and works great on my S3. It's free for (time) limited use, then you just have to restart it.