WiFi and 4G

GeekRex

Reaction score
This is the first device I have used that has 2 paths to the Internet. When I am connected to my WiFi or out and about and I'm connected to a WiFi, does the WiFi take precedence? If so, unless I turn off WiFi would the phone connection ever take over? The documentation doesn't even come close to discussing this.

SallyC

Reaction score
This is the first device I have used that has 2 paths to the Internet. When I am connected to my WiFi or out and about and I'm connected to a WiFi, does the WiFi take precedence? If so, unless I turn off WiFi would the phone connection ever take over? The documentation doesn't even come close to discussing this.

You can set up Smart Actions or use apps like Juice Defender to manage wifi and data connections, but generally if you are connected via wifi your data (3G or 4G) will turn off and wifi will take precedence. You can see this as your data connection will no longer be blue and active but your wifi bars will be blue. At least that's how it looks on mine.

If you want more info about this - and other Android OS info - you can view or download this Android manual. Specifically for this, I would recommend the Connecting to Networks and devices section.

doggy2965

Reaction score
Wifi is first then cellular data. If you have good wifi you can use smart action to disable cellular in background while on wifi saves your battery if on wifi for extended periods.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums