Wi-fi problems after GB update, help!

Gumdrop

Reaction score
So before GB update my wifi ran perfectly, no disconnect errors or anything. When GB was released I tested my wifi at home and it would connect for about 2 minutes of me surfing the web and then there would be no signal/connection even thoughh my phone stilll said there was. I did some researching and found to set my router from 802.11b/g to 802.11g only and it seemed to fix the problem for a day but I just tested it again and it is still happening. Any suggestions? By the way, I did a factory reset two days ago and that didn't fix the problem.

OP
G

Gumdrop

Reaction score
I've done that as well, no luck! This is frustrating. I've also tried putting my phone in DMZPlus mode instead of DHCP

slowtype

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem. I have been posting in the Motorola forums about this. You should post this in the Motorola forum so that they know others are having the problem as well.

slowtype

Reaction score
well if anyone cares.

Motorola hasn't recognized this as a bug yet.

I gave up and just rooted to CM7 and the wifi seems to work fine now.

Algae998

Reaction score
Im having similar problems with my D2 as well. I recently did a factory reset, due to a boot loop, and conincidently I cant connect after that. I can connect to my router, it shows I have full strong signal but I cant do anythign after that. The web browsers wont load anything and give the page cannot be displayed error. I get a no connection error when using the cnn or bbc apps as well. So it looks like Im connected to my wifi but isolated?

I have tried changing the channel selection on my router from auto to more open channels and back to auto with no luck. My desktop and laptops can connect without issue so I doubt the problem lies on the modem/router side.

Ive been trying to research this and it seems like quite a few other people are having similar issues with their D2, perhaps after a factory reset. Maybe soemthing changed after the reset that was not automatically updated or changed back?
Would rooting fix any of these issues? I dont know much about rooting or where to begin but it sounds like thats the better option..or going to Verizon.
:blink:

trdsoarer93

Reaction score
this has only been a problem for me - with the new GB update... among many other annoying issues/bugs

Algae998

Reaction score
Their latest update kinda feels like, "Hey! We've made updates, now nothing works! Enjoy!"

This wifi thing is really bugging me because in my apartment I get **** 3G. Sometimes it great, other times theres no 3G and Im down to 1 or 2 bars, so it goes through my battery like nothing. Ive charged my phone twice today so far, and Ill probably have it on the charge again before the nights over with..

Algae998

Reaction score
No, I actually cant get it to sync at all. I try and keep the wifi turned off when I can to try and conserve battery as much good as that does. Something is not in proper working order me thinks.

trdsoarer93

Reaction score
just remember to turn the phone from Global back to CDMA only or GSM/UMTS only if you are using a simcard. theres no need for global use while in USA>. and having both radios on wastes battery life.

Algae998

Reaction score
just remember to turn the phone from Global back to CDMA only or GSM/UMTS only if you are using a simcard. theres no need for global use while in USA>. and having both radios on wastes battery life.

Interesting. Where would I find that setting? Im not sure exactly which Droid 2 I have, whether its Global or what..

Wifi doesn't have to be on for it to try and sync. Even if you have a poor signal if your phone is syncing as it's setup by default it's going to eat your battery up. I just used power control to turn syncing on and off as needed.

Is that the Android widget that comes stock? I forgot about that controller, Ill see if that helps. Does it control syncing as in emails or contacts?

trdsoarer93

Reaction score
Menu>settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Network mode
Its the first option or should be.
from there you can select
Global
CDMA
GSM/UMTS

If that option isnt there you wont have a global device i guess to worry about :S

Algae998

Reaction score
Thanks, I forgot about the power control widget.

Ive been having a lot of issues with the phone and the wifi wont work. My 3G seems to be off and on but my battery dies in 4 hours from a full charge. Luckily I have the extended insurance so Im sending in for a new D2.