Wi-Fi, hotspot, etc.

DroidFromTheCrypt

Reaction score
Have honestly not noticed much of a difference in page load times when I access a Wi-Fi connection with my Droid X. I know there is the potential to unlock the ability to tether other wi-fi devices to my X (or pay Verizon $20 for this feature) which leads me to wonder -- if the Droid X is so fast that it can power a wi-fi hotspot, would it even be worth buying a wireless router for my home broadband connection? I have seen them as cheap as around $20 at Walmart, should there be a benefit to having one of these -- is there anything I should be looking for before I buy? (compatibility w/ Droid X)

DFTC

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The hotspot feature isn't WiFi but 3G. Yet, if another device like a laptop or iPod touch is WiFi, it can run off of the 3G hotspot feature.

DroidForums junkie!

OP
DroidFromTheCrypt

DroidFromTheCrypt

Reaction score
3g hotspot

The hotspot feature isn't WiFi but 3G. Yet, if another device like a laptop or iPod touch is WiFi, it can run off of the 3G hotspot feature.

DroidForums junkie!

So in other words, there is nothing to be gained by tethering a droid that is already active on the network to a 3g hotspot via Wi-Fi?

Is there any forseeable advantage to purchasing a broadband wireless router for my home PC to connect my Droid X to via Wi-Fi? Or would it be money/time wasted?

DFTC

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you get a wireless router you will see speed increases for sure.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App