Wi-Fi connection speed

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Also my "link speed" is 65Mbps too.

Tried a speedtest on computer that is on the other side of the house far away from the router, and got 14Mbps down. Defective Droid X?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
You have to remember that the connection speed to the router is going to be different that the connection speed from the router to the internet and vice versa.

A router can connect to a laptop/pc via wire and theoretically attain speeds of 300mbps...but the internet connection is decided by the ISP package you are paying for.

Same thing with your DX...it will never connect to the internet at 300mbps...simply because your service isnt that fast. Also, it will not see the theoretical max connection speed between it and the router because of the wireless chipset in the phone...and you cant hook the DX up directly via wire to the router...

So, in the end, as long as you are seeing 65mbps, I wouldnt worry about your set-up...its running as correctly as it should...:)

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
Exactly, since my roadrunner is 15mbps it doesn't matter that I'm only connecting at 65mbps. But I was just making sure I wasn't missing a setting.

Steve

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Exactly, since my roadrunner is 15mbps it doesn't matter that I'm only connecting at 65mbps. But I was just making sure I wasn't missing a setting.

Steve

Nah...as long as you are getting near the speed of the advertised internet service, you should be golden...:)

PhishPhan

Reaction score
Okay, there is definitely some misunderstanding going on in this thread.

There are 2 topics being discussed:
1) Internal WiFi connectivity speed with the router
2) WiFi connectivity with the WWW. (Speedtest.net results)

1) I have an N router and connect at 65Mbs - every time, on every N router, home, work, etc. This "seems" to be the max capabilities of the X firmware at this time. As someone said, that is plenty fast enough for a phone. There is not many ways to test this without transferring large files on your internal network to and from the phone and timing it. (Have fun with the math!)

2) This is the area where I am having issues, as are others it seems. When I run a speedtest.net test (or even speakeasy.net/speedtest, or dslreports.com) I seem to cap out at 5Mbs down and/or up with intermittent results. On the same network my laptop and iPod (yeah, yeah) I can hit the advertised ISP speeds of 30M down and 10 up. I have tried this test with various infrastructures and various ISP's, all with the same dismal results.

So, the question/issue is, what is going on with web connectivity with the X? Why is it that even with an advertised internal network connection speed of 65Mbps speed tests of web connectivity are below ISP capabilities.

(G/N/B , WEP, WPA, AES, TKIP, Open, Radius, etc different manufactures routers/AP's web speed not where it should be)

Anyone have any solutions/ideas/tips/tricks for this?

Last edited:

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I've been curious as well. Both mine, and my cousins DX's seem to be capped at 5-6Mbps, same as with my old Droid. I tried about 20 tests, and once hit around 7Mbps, but never anything over. :(

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I`ve wondered about this as well...the actual "speedtest" of the internet connection between my DX connected via wireless G...my speeds as well usually top out in the 5-6mbps range.

Just a few minutes ago, I did a couple test runs on 2 different servers and was able to get above the 6mbps "ceiling" on 1 server..

I have a feeling, not backed up by anything "official" mind you, that the DX`s wireless chips have a "limit" of some sort that does not allow them to see full "ISP" internet speeds....no idea if this is true or not...

Hello Moto????:)

snap20110105_212528.png
snap20110105_212441.png

BodyBagz

Reaction score
They must ... there is no other way that it could be so consistently limited
Yeah...either the wireless chipset has built-in limitations, or some other component...I can see no other reason for the drastic differences in speed...

Dont get me wrong, I aint really complaining...pulling 6mbps on a phone via wifi isnt shabby....but pulling 6mbps on a 20-25mbps cable internet line is kinda disheartening...:biggrin:

Last edited:

PhishPhan

Reaction score
Went to a V store today....spoke with a CSR/tech. Looks like, from what they said, there is no cap on the WiFi connection speed (Either connection). Even though they had no "official service" bulletin the Rep alluded to a "pattern " where the X WiFi cards would stop connecting at over 5Mbps before failing. Needless to say, I have my 3rd X being delivered tomorrow! (1st one had screen issues -rofl)

Ill update after updating, rooting, and restoring the replacement. Lets see if they'll put a battery in the box this time.

PhishPhan

Reaction score
:dry: Oops - forgot to post my results.

Got the replacement, and went through the rooting, restoring and all that jaz, only to find that the dang thing still gives me WiFi issues. Drops the connection, can't connect at over 5Mbs. All over again. :wacko:

So, I went and started swapping out Routers, Netgear (3 models), a D-Link, a Linksys (Pre-Cisco) and a Cisco/Linksys. ( I do home network installations - hence the oodles of routers to use) :icon_eek:

Tried everything from B to N, WEP, WPA, RADIUS, dd-wrt, and guess what - everything failed to improve my results. :icon_cussing:

I have ROM'ed this dang thing too. Thinking maybe a DEV made some tweaks M or V cant seem to fix. Apex, Obsidian, RubiX, GummyJAR, Liberty, DarkSlide, TranQuility - all have the same WiFi glitch.
{{Sticking with Liberty BTW - awesome ROM, super fast!!}}

So now I am debating returning the phone - again - or trying to see if I can work with a DEV to get a workaround. Dropped connections due to power-saving settings?? The slow speeds are beyond me.

Sad, it really is, as this phone otherwise is awesome.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Just FYI for those that are seeing "capped" speeds:

I've got Verizon FiOS at home with their wireless router. When I connect to it with my Droid X, I can get speeds over 10 Mbps, usually around 13-14.

So I don't think there's a cap on the phone at all, unless this cap was added in the later builds. I ordered my phone the day it was released.

Only other things I can suggest are to make sure you're selecting a server very close to you to run the speed test on, and make sure another device isn't pulling similar speeds to the same server.

PhishPhan

Reaction score
IIGood - been there done that. Shut everything else down completely, still to abysmal results. I can take my ::Gasp:: iPod touch and nail speeds of 25/10, same with my PC and lappy. I connect the X, and guess what - 6/6 at best.
I mean, its not a super big deal, its not, but an N card has a theoretical speed of 300Mbs minus overhead. ISP speeds of 30/10 fall well within these capabilities.

I have seem to have resolved the network dropping issues though. Both WiFi reassociate and Auto WiFi toggle seem to keep me connected. I think that the default scan for connection or time out is too long causing the drops. It seems that with Liberty I can also set my scan for WiFi to 60 from 90 and I stay connected then as well.

Speed - blech, no idea. I need to try a few file transfers from my X to my PC over the WiFi (and with my FTP server).