Why does my data speeds slow down when i connect to something?

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Whenever I connect my phone to anything, my data slows down. If I tether to my laptop, it slows down. If I use foxfi to connect wirelessly, it slows down. If I connect via HDMI to my TV it slows down. Doesn't matter what it is, it slows down. I did a speed test and was getting 20 mbps speed. I plug in HDMI to my TV and immediately run a speed test and it has slowed to 1 mbps. Is this normal?

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who has this problem then.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Whenever I connect my phone to anything, my data slows down. If I tether to my laptop, it slows down. If I use foxfi to connect wirelessly, it slows down. If I connect via HDMI to my TV it slows down. Doesn't matter what it is, it slows down. I did a speed test and was getting 20 mbps speed. I plug in HDMI to my TV and immediately run a speed test and it has slowed to 1 mbps. Is this normal?
This is probably not going to help you much. The answer to your question is not a simple one...there are so many variables that can influence the "speed" that you are trying to measure and many of them having nothing to do with your phone. Some sources that you are trying to download data from control the rate or "speed" at which the data is being sent. Traffic volume, quality of connection and software has a lot to do with how "fast" you receive or even transmit data to and from the "other end". Keep in mind that download "speed" and upload "speed" almost always varies and is not control by your phone in most cases. I'm not saying that your phone doesn't have an issue affecting your "speed", just trying to say that there are a lot of variables some of which you have no control over.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Anytime you add another link to the chain youll lose some speed because it is coming from the tower to your phone then from your phone to the connected device. You shouldn't drop from 20mbps all the way to 1mbps but the speed being cut in half is understandable.
Im not sure what to tell you about speeding it back up.

sent from my vzw galaxy note 2

YellowJacket

Reaction score
OP, you said you "immediately" runa speed test and your speed drops to 1mbps. Does the speed improve after waiting a few minutes?
Also, responses around this time of year may be a bit slow as the forums aren't very active lately due to the holiday.

David

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
OP, you said you "immediately" runa speed test and your speed drops to 1mbps. Does the speed improve after waiting a few minutes?
Also, responses around this time of year may be a bit slow as the forums aren't very active lately due to the holiday.

David

It never really gets much better. When it does, it is very brief. I really don't understand why it slows down when I connect to a flat screen via HDMI. It's not splitting between 2 devices. It's just displaying on a larger screen.