Where is the Pro Love? ROMS anyone?

tamc7299

Reaction score
New to the droid phones and my pro fell into my lap as a lost and found trash can save. It was missing a back, no battery, red moisture dot showing, and locked to verison :mad: (Im U.S. at&t unlimited for free because my mother in law rocks and pays for it). Sim unlocked, band unlocked, and rooted now dancedroid. Surprised at the lack of interest in this phone. I'm coming from a european sim unlocked voda BBerry bold 9700 and the only two things I liked about it were the physical keyboard and no face to touch screen hangups . I started on CM7 but now on APEX 2.0 RC4. I see CM9 but my camera is important for pics on the fly so that's a deal breaker. My question is what elese is out there? I see vague references throughout the web to Liberty and RC1 Droid Pro-Vanilla but this forum has helped me from ground up so I thought I would fish a little here before I take matters into my own hands. I will stay with apex if well advised or try something else unless given a good reason not to. Thanks for any input to this.

pcpilot309

Reaction score
I have tried CM7 and CM9. CM7 I could never get the data switching to work properly. CM9 is outstanding but I have decided to stay with apeX 2.0 for now. It suits my needs perfectly.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

OP
T

tamc7299

Reaction score
ok

Checked out cm9 post and they say camera is ok now. Is the battery life good? What would make cm9 have a leg up on apex? I know the prox not working is a apex thing but is there other points on 9 vs apx?

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I have zero bugs on CM9 (that I can think of off the top of my head).

It's all personal preference in the end.

ozo012

Reaction score
Checked out cm9 post and they say camera is ok now. Is the battery life good? What would make cm9 have a leg up on apex? I know the prox not working is a apex thing but is there other points on 9 vs apx?
My idle battery life on CM7 is excellent, when using the phone... not so much (even underclocked at 800 mhz, and unclocked screen off @ 300 mhz). Haven't used Apex but I hear it's very stable (never had data issues on CM7 as I don't use Wifi). Don't have any of the stability issues others have mentioned about it either.

OP
T

tamc7299

Reaction score
other roms?

so I guess (going back to my original question) cm7, cm9, and apex have the market cornered on roms. I mentioned liberty but like I said the info on other roms just don't seem to to be out there on the pro.

ngtwolf

Reaction score
I have zero bugs on CM9 (that I can think of off the top of my head).

It's all personal preference in the end.

You should probably note that you're a cdma user, so CM7 & CM9 both work great for you. :) The 3-21 build of CM9 killed GSM again and since the OP is running on AT&T it won't work for him either.

To the original poster, folks running on the band unlocked Droid Pro (and I believe GSM users in general) pretty much need to stick with Apex or Stock. That said, Jackpots ICS CM9 build is really close to usable and once he reverts back the telephony changes that the D2G users added (that he bases his build off), it'd probably be the best choice. In the meantime, just stay on apex.

ngtwolf

Reaction score
so I guess (going back to my original question) cm7, cm9, and apex have the market cornered on roms. I mentioned liberty but like I said the info on other roms just don't seem to to be out there on the pro.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Liberty was a Droid 2 Global/Droid X rom. I was thinking the same about the Vanilla rom. I know there is a TBH rom, but it's basically stock with root. Other than stock, CM7 and Apex (and depending on requirements, CM9) are the only daily driver roms to use.

ngtwolf

Reaction score

CM9's leg up would be Performance, Security, Customization & Theming. Thats off the top of my head. If you're a CDMA user, I'd say its worth switching. Apex is essentially modified stock.

Skyrocketing

Reaction score
I wouldn't use CM9 ICS, there are a lot of force close problems, is very slow, and has bad battery life ):
Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

ngtwolf

Reaction score
I wouldn't use CM9 ICS, there are a lot of force close problems, is very slow, and has bad battery life ):

I've seen claims of the force closes (beyond the force closes I know occur on gsm and the camcorder) and noticed the poor battery myself, but i actually didn't notice it being slow at all, it was faster than any of the other droid pro roms i've used. I also don't recall anyone else stating in the ics thread that it was slow.

OP
T

tamc7299

Reaction score
thnx for the reply. The prob I am having now is my speaker is not working I dont know why. I can hear when I call but not if I put them on speaker. No sound on apps or you tube. no tones through speaker at all. very frustrating. I have no idea if its software of hardware issue. Im going to sbf and start all over in hope that the sortware is bugged and I dont have a blown speaker.

jago25_98

Reaction score
Feedback on ICS 4.0.3 CM9.

I'm using a stock kernel, I'll have to look it up. Only problem I have so far is the keyboard input, which covers the screen on input. Will have to try another keyboard.

Very fast.

Hard to say but haven't seen bad battery life.

<strike>
Also,
on the USA version and running USA ROM, yet selecting various options and GSM and 3G still work even though not available in the menus. They must do because there is no CDMA in this country and it continues to work also with 2G only selected. Check it out :). I think CM would be better with checkboxes for selecting bands, I'll suggest that.
</strike> My mistake, it looked like it was working... but it wasn't...