What's the deal with the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II? (a phone in the shadows?)

jeffw_00

Reaction score
Hi - I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II from VZW. There seems to be -very- little posted on the web about this phone. I thought I had read about it, and that it would be upgraded to JellyBean. but as I research for the web I realize they were talking about the Samsung Galaxy S II, Which isn't the same phone...

I'm starting to wonder if there's a reason I was able to buy the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II for $29.99 - VZ started carrying it only 3 months ago but perhaps it's going away? (it wasn't on their most recent end-of-life list, but still). My 14d isn't up yet, and I'm wondering if I have made a mistake? (Note -coming from Blackberry I'm used to writing long Emails quickly and so I covet the keypad, but...) I mean, if it's a phone with no future (no jellybean, etc), maybe I should try something else (sigh). I'm not much of a cellphone enthusiast, so I would appreciate the perspective of those who watch the industry. Why is this phone in the shadows? Should I expect a JellyBean update (and given how I read VZ is crippling it, do I care?)

Thanks VERY MUCH!
/j

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It's not a "flagship" phone, like the Droid 4/3/etc, which explains the pricing. I consider it an entry-level device for those that must have a physical keyboard. I don't recall seeing anything about it getting Jellybean, but it would make sense for it to receive it at some point, as the device is still so new.

OP
J

jeffw_00

Reaction score
It's not a "flagship" phone, like the Droid 4/3/etc, which explains the pricing. I consider it an entry-level device for those that must have a physical keyboard. I don't recall seeing anything about it getting Jellybean, but it would make sense for it to receive it at some point, as the device is still so new.

Thanks! But what's special about a "flagship"? My son had a Droid4, but after replacing twice for battery problems he swapped for the Strat II and likes it a LOT more. IT struck me as a good mid-range phone. What am I missing?
/j

xtor

Reaction score
I never thought the d4 was a top phone, like razr, note 2 are