What phone to buy? [Vzw, used, off-contract, under $200]

kwest12

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm considering buying a used phone off of Ebay to replace a Droid Bionic. I'm looking for the following:

• Under $200
  • 4G LTE
  • Removable battery
  • At least 16 GB if there's no removeable sdcard slot
  • Easily rootable, preferably an unlockable bootloader and solid development support
  • If possible, still receiving Android updates from Vzw/Google

Obviously I'm looking for a solid performer with respectable battery life and without any glaring issues (radio problems. wifi problems, gps problems, screen problems, button problems, etc). If I do decide to do this, I'm going to want it pretty fast, so I need a phone whose auctions often end below $200. I'm not sure if the following phones fit the descriptions, but they are the ones that come to mind.

• Droid RAZR M
  • Droid DNA
  • Galaxy S3
  • Note 2

Any suggestions or insight is appreciated!

Last edited:

77Pat

Reaction score
The Razr M does not have a replaceable battery. Software update to KitKat status "Future Plans Coming Soon". Harder to root.

Note 2 would be tough to get under $200.

The Galaxy S3 has been holding steady around $250, but sometimes drops under $200.

Have not read up on the DNA.

I would also check Swappa.

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
Ugh you're right, the razr m doesn't have a removable battery and neither does the DNA.

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
You are going to have to bump your price a bit to get everything that you want. S3 or Note 2 are both unlocked. Note 2 battery is awesome!

miles47

Reaction score
I have bookmarked this and will return soon more about it thank you....

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Why not try to grab a Razr Maxx. Non removable battery but pretty moot since the battery lasts all day and then some. 32GB of internal storage should hold you over. Easily rootable with Safestrap. Unknown future support but the development community should take care of that. I just sold my mint Razr Maxx rooted with accessories for $180 on swappa.

deduct

Reaction score
My son dropped my razr maxx and broke the screen. Instead of fixing it I purchased a galaxy nexus for $100 recently in mint condition. First thing I did was unlock it and root. 32 gigs of internal memory and a removable battery. There are tons of custom ROMs. And stock is 4.2.2. I ordered an extended battery and a couple of extra cases. I will never go back to a phone with a boot loader that can't be unlocked. I plan on using this until I can purchase a dev edition droid maxx.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
I think I've decided to actually go low cost for now and pray that a God-phone becomes available on Verizon.

Sounds like my options under $100 are the galaxy nexus and the bionic. I never really stayed up on the latest nexus news, but last I knew it had terrible battery issues, a poor radio situation (unreliable, bad 3g/4g handoff, poor signal strength), poor gps, and a pretty bad camera.

I'm aware that the bionic is no gem either, so I need to know which is a better choice.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

deduct

Reaction score
I think I've decided to actually go low cost for now and pray that a God-phone becomes available on Verizon.

Sounds like my options under $100 are the galaxy nexus and the bionic. I never really stayed up on the latest nexus news, but last I knew it had terrible battery issues, a poor radio situation (unreliable, bad 3g/4g handoff, poor signal strength), poor gps, and a pretty bad camera.

I'm aware that the bionic is no gem either, so I need to know which is a better choice.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

My nexus has none of those issues. I have a perfectly fine bionic still with lots of cases and 3 standard batteries and extended. Even still I love this nexus. Battery life is the same as standard bionic battery. Radio signal has been just as good as my bionic or razr's. And screen quality between nexus and bionic isn't even comparable. Nexus blows bionic away in every aspect. Don't get me wrong, bionic is still a great phone and I'm keeping mine. But, if you can find a galaxy nexus in mint condition like I did, I can guarantee you won't be sorry. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

bigmatt503

Reaction score
For under a 100 the 2 that I think of are the galaxy nexus or another bionic..
If 200 is a possibility the galaxy s3 pops up on occasion for around 200 (one just sold on swappa for 190).
The og razr maxx is a great choice (other than the battery not being removable).
The other phones on your list would be hard to find for 200..

Best of luck, matt

Sent from my rooted and debloated DNA

Vendon

Reaction score
All the cell phones that you have mentioned, I think Note 2 is better than others from every side.but there is issue about price.