What happened to my SD card apps and Market app

beansurg

Reaction score
Today when I powered on my phone ( I power off to charge it), it seemed like the splash screen animation was wrong. It did the usual HTC incredible splash, HTC logo and animation, but when it loads the Droid eye it seems that the two animated spheres only go back and forth a couple times and stop. My notification bar had missing icons which was weird. I looked at the icons on my home screen and those that are on my SD card have generic android icons. Trying to open them results in the " linked program no longer installed..." message. I tried to check my card in a file manager and it appears that the data is on the card. In fact i was able to take a pix and it stored it without a problem, so I can write data to the card. I tried a couple of power down and restarts without any changes. Eventually I noticed in the notification bar on booting it says preparing phone storage and then instead of saying preparing SD card it says phone storage again. I am getting a lot of force close errors on apps as soon as i unlock my screen.

My phone is currently rooted but am using stock ROM/ Kernals etc.

I tried to access the apps via titanium backup but it force closes as soon as it starts as does ROM manager. My market app is not working. I can get to the market and go through permissions to download, however it never downloads and just hangs trying to download until I cancel the download.

I tried to mount and unmount my SD card to no avail. I check settings =>SD and phone storage and it properly lists the SD card size and available space as well as the internal storage.

I am at a loss at what to do? I did make a nandroid backup after i completed the root with unrevoked and booted into Clockwork mod recovery.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

bassmankc

Reaction score
Try force closing/ stopping your launcher and then press home

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
B

beansurg

Reaction score
Thanks but pardon my ignorance. How do I do that? I'm using stock ROM and launcher. What would the app or service be called?

In addition I forgot to mention when I go into settings=>applications => manage applications the SD tab is empty.

Tiezane

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue

Phone rooted in the last few weeks, still running stock kernel and all. My battery had died, and I noticed the problem after plugging it in. All Apps on SD card had generic icons and trying to run them came up with the "linked program is no longer installed" message. In addition, almost all local apps crashed when trying to open them, I couldn't install anything off of the market, and the market didn't even show that I *had* installed anything. Used Titanium Backup to restore app + data on everything from my last known good backup, and the problem just kept snowballing. Once Google talk started crashing on every launch, I decided to go ahead and restore my last good nandroid via CWM recovery. Phone has been fine since.

A friend of mine is trying the "Fix Permissions" in Rom Manager right now on his DInc, he was seeing the same problem after the phone rebooted itself.

What kind of battery are you using? Both he and I are using the Seidio 3500mAH super extended battery. Don't know if that is the cause or not (and in all honesty, I couldn't see a battery being the root cause here).

One of my co-workers had the same problem on his TB, but it cleared itself up after a couple of hours.

Hope this helps, lemme know if you find and alternative solution!

Tiezane

Reaction score
Looks like the ROM Manager fix worked for him, might be worth trying.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
B

beansurg

Reaction score
Seems like a coincidence but I recently rooted the phone too in the last few weeks. I agree that it's unlikely a battery issue. Unlike you I am using the stock battery.

I didn't think of trying the ROM manager fix permissions either.

What I was able to do to get everything working was the following. I managed to get the market app to work. I was able to uninstall Titanium and then reinstall it. I then did a batch restore of my apps and data. It wasn't perfect but it at least had everything running.. The main problems it left were with data. My contacts, favorites and things like that needed to be redone.

Even though everything is working it still seems like its not quite how it had been. Can't really describe what's wrong but like I said it's not how it had been.

Tiezane

Reaction score
Definitely not the battery then, which is good, because I would hate to give up this beast.

Probably not related to when it was rooted, my friend rooted his phone several months ago, but this issue just cropped up this past week. I'm wondering if verizon pushed something unannounced that borked it.

I know what you mean about it not feeling quite the same as before, but I can't seem to put my finger on it either. For me, it could just be the fact that I had recently rearranged all my home screens, and had just gotten used to where everything was, and now it's all changed. Once I have a chance to fix that, I foresee a new nandroid backup.

OP
B

beansurg

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about verizon pushing something, but my guess is it's a new app or an update to an older one.

I thought everything was fine but today when I rebooted I found my market app force closes. Can't use it to access my downloads.
The phone and most other things working. Tried to restore w TI and got nowhere. Tried to fix permissions with ROM manager and get an error. Disabled all the new updates to apps in TI and still no help.

Any suggestions?

Probably gonna have to restore from my nandroid backup and start over.

Tiezane

Reaction score
Unfortunately, after several days of fighting it, the nandroid backup was the only option I had left, but that did immediately solve the problem. Since then, I've reinstalled all my apps and updates, and all seems well. Just very odds that three of us all had the same issue right around the same time. I wonder how many more out there had a problem and just chalked it up to a mistake on their part, our worse, assumed the phone was dying and took it to verizon to get replaced.

OP
B

beansurg

Reaction score
It does seem odd that the three of us had this same issue. I haven't really come across any one else having this problem. In any case I was able to uninstall and re-install my market app and got almost everything working. Still get an error with Rom Manager. I guess it beats having to do nandroid restore, although I may anyhow if I have any further problems.

Sofresh

Reaction score
It does seem odd that the three of us had this same issue. I haven't really come across any one else having this problem. In any case I was able to uninstall and re-install my market app and got almost everything working. Still get an error with Rom Manager. I guess it beats having to do nandroid restore, although I may anyhow if I have any further problems.

Hey, couldnt find my charger last night and plugged in this morning and noticed something funny about boot up. All contacts wiped (not even linked) and general weirdness ever since (still getting used to Droid myself)
I haven't installed any back ups or Rom manger yet as I just got it only a couple of days ago. Wondering if this is something that's going to snowball or just because I let the battery fully discharge? What should I do? What did I do that my Droid didn't like lol

Tiezane

Reaction score
Hi SoFresh,

It's hard to give a definite answer on this, we've all seen similar but different issues. In my case, it snowballed to the point I had to diy a full restore. Beansburg and my friend were both able to scrape around most of the major issues by restoring or reinstalling just the apps and fixing permissions.

Is your device rooted? If not, ROM Manager and Titanium backup won't do anything for you in this regard. Even if you are, of you don't already have them installed, they aren't going to give you anything you don't already have. Try giving it some time to settle out on its own, and if it doesn't, then you're probably going to have to start over from square one.

nsud

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem and it started today morning. I have not rooted my phone, it is all the stock kernel and software and ROM. But I did notice that there was a message saying that a software update had been received. I do not remember the version number but it was something like 3.xx.605 something. Ever since then, my google voice app and many other apps crash a few seconds after opening. Many of preferences have been reset and call history has been wiped clean, although the contacts are still there. All the apps that were on the SDcard just show the generic icon, and settings->applications->manage->SD card tab shows zero apps.
My current S/W info is
Android ver. 2.2
Baseband ver. 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel ver. 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149 #1
Build number 3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys
PRL ver. 52297

Any ideas on how to fix it. I dont have any backup software mentioned earlier in the posts installed on my DINC.

Tiezane

Reaction score
nsud,

Unfortunately, I think the only first step available to you is to boot to recovery (hold Vol down and power with the device fully powered down) and tell it to do a factory reset.

OP
B

beansurg

Reaction score
I agree with Tiezane probably need to factory reset if a reboot doesn't fix the issues.

FYI update on what I did. Got tired of the half fix so I did a nandroid backup(just in case but would probably restore with my original post root nandroid) and flashed a new ROM, skyraider 4.0 So far so good. Was able to re-install TI from market and use that to get all my apps back. Be careful to only install apps and their data not any system data, etc. Seems to be working well. Only downside was having to reset preferences in some apps. BTW I tried flashing with ROM manager but got a boot loop. Pulled the battery and rebooted into recovery and wiped the data/ cache and then chose to install from SD. Went without a hitch. Just another solution if you are rooted.