What controls physical keyboard

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I have a couple of OG Droid phones that I am going to start using for development work. They have been sitting on the shelf for the last few months since my wife and I upgraded to new phones.

Anyway, the physical keyboard on both of them is not working. Is there an system apk that controls the keyboard, or is it in the kernel? I know that it is functioning because I can use it to boot the phone into recovery (power on while holding X) and while I am in recovery I can use it, just nadda when the phone is up and running.

One phone is a sort of stock Froyo and the other is running SS 5.4, but both are using the same kernel from Chevy.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
Well, I am guessing that it must be in the kernel -- device driver and all. I restored to a totally stock version of Froyo on the one phone and wiped and re-flashed SS 5.6 and now it is working on both phones.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
The problem has returned.

I gave my Droid to my son to use. We didn't change anything other than loading a handful of apps, but now the physical keyboard has again "dissappeared". When you go to Settings -> Language "& keyboard There isn't any entry for the Device keyboard.

I know that the keyboard is functional because when I boot into recovery I can use it there.

So, I guess I could use some suggestions again.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
Solved!! dancedroid dancedroid

The problem was in the modification I made to the /system/usr/keylayout/sholes-keypad.kl file. My power button isn't working any more, so I modified the file and changed the two lines:

Code:
key 211 FOCUS
key 212 CAMERA

To

Code:
key 211   POWER             WAKE
key 212   POWER             WAKE_DROPPED

The problem was that there was a blank link between the entry for key 212 and the entry for key 16 (the letter Q on the keyboard). When I modified the file that blank like was removed. I put it back and the keyboard (and my remapped power button) are now both working!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well sorry you had no response to help you out originally, but this is cool you posted your solution as there are probably a few that have had to remap their power button. Of course, with the latest CM7.x based roms, there is a setting to use the volume rocker to wake the phone negating part of your need to do the power button remap edits you have done.