All this 4G technology -- and no physical QWERTY keyboards???

kijutsu

Reaction score
Not trying to spark a huge argument here -- but I am legitimately curious as to why...

So -- maybe I'm just behind the times on requiring a physical QWERTY keyboard, but whats the deal with Verizon not having ANY cell phones with 4g technology and a physical QWERTY keyboard? Am I the only one who religiously uses the physical keyboard?

I'd love to have 4G, but the physical QWERTY keyboard is a /must/ in my line of work (IT professional and regular Linux geek). :motdroidhoriz:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the issue is that your part of such a small percentage of people that want them its not very beneficial to the manufacturers to continue to put them out.

OP
kijutsu

kijutsu

Reaction score
..really? I can't be the only gadget geek around that wants 4G with a decent qwerty keyboard :)

km75

Reaction score
Well I'm not a geek! And I love having a keyboard!! I need a stinking keyboard!! Hold up I'm on this forum so maybe I am slowly turning into a geek. OMFG!! All jokes aside though I love having the keyboard for my messaging needs. I'm real good with swype. Actually I love using swype. Use it more than swiftkey. But for my long messages I find that for me the physical keyboard is quicker and I make less mistakes. But it definitely seems like manufacturers see physical keyboards as being on the way out. Presently I have a droid 3. The D3 with 4g woulda been the shiznit!!!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

todroid

Reaction score
Samsung Stratosphere. The leaked info from RadioShack is showing it to be coming out tomorrow. 4G and keyboard. Granted, a mid-tier phone, but if those two are your primary factors, your wish is granted.

geeyawn

Reaction score
it looks ugly... if im paying top dollar for service, i want top tier!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I always like the option of a physical keyboard because sometimes (coding/editing/writing) it really helps to see the whole screen.

For Motorola, my thinking is that they considered putting 4G in the Droid 3 but decided against it. I could be wrong, but here's why:

1) battery life would suck. to make it not suck the battery would have to be huge. the phone would be really bulky. so, the tradeoff was bulky phone vs. crap battery life. they really wanted the Droid 3 to succeed so they played it conservatively.

2) why not have customers buy the Droid 3 and then have them drooling over (and buying) the Droid 4g in a year or so? $$$$$

todroid

Reaction score

Service is the same for all. The price difference is for the phones. If you want top tier phone, you get to pay top tier price for the phone. Stratosphere will be priced as a mid-price phone. Just saying.
We're always want the specs, but if all OP is looking for is 4G+keyboard, that is an option.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I started with a keyboard, but the keys started peeling off. I closed it, and have enjoyed the change to the onscreen keyboard.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

most of the people that want a actual keyboard are typically less tech savvy people so the only phones with a full keyboard are in most cases going to be mid-range or low-end phones.

i would be really surprised to see a high end phone with 4g and a physical keyboard.

Oowoon

Reaction score
All the good phones are touchscreen, so I'll adjust.

Sent from Apex'd GB Droid 2